Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Jacksonville , Florida
Anyone ever look into one of these:

Avanti AC/DC Superconductor Refrigerator, Model# SHP1712SDC | 12-Volt Accessories | Northern Tool + Equipment

Its small at 1.7 CF, but the original fridge for my Bambi was only 2 CF. It is 120V/12V, no gas and the price is good at $170.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
sun city , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I need to order my frig. The standard counter height is about 36". The Dometic 2354 will fit easily under the 36" countertop and I can tie exhaust/vent in. Around $650 seems like a decent price. Any additional suggestions? Any thoughts on framing the unit in? I want to design the space to make it relatively easy to service the frig. The PO had squeezed a Kenmore into a space that required me to dismantle the cabinetry to pull it. (The unit was junk anyway).

I was thinking I could use removable stop blocks to keep the frig firmly in place but make it easy to pull out. Oh, and yesterday I added insect screen to the vent cover. The fewer bugs coming in, the better.
Hampstead,
How much is the shipping charge for the fridge?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Sorry, but I've been occupied. I just checked the shipping. The quote is $116.90.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Petersburg , Virginia
Hi, there, I need some help, please. We need to replace the Dometic in our '74 AS. I've looked at a lot of the threads but evidently I'm not looking in the right place or maybe am just not understanding (very possible). Should I replace it with another Dometic or are there better options? I tried Google-ing Danfoss after reading this thread and found a site with solar refrigerators...I'm getting pretty overwhelmed. I have no idea what the best option is. I'm a little skittish about the propane (maybe it's something I just need to get used to) so the 12V sounds like a good option, but...I have no idea what I'm doing. On the bright side, I managed to repack the wheel bearings myself with some supervision from hubby, so I'm not completely inept...but the fridge is starting to make me feel like I am! Greatly appreciate any advice (please just keep in mind this is new territory for me when you're explaining...)
Old 02-21-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyAnt View Post
Hi, there, I need some help, please. We need to replace the Dometic in our '74 AS. I've looked at a lot of the threads but evidently I'm not looking in the right place or maybe am just not understanding (very possible). Should I replace it with another Dometic or are there better options? I tried Google-ing Danfoss after reading this thread and found a site with solar refrigerators...I'm getting pretty overwhelmed. I have no idea what the best option is. I'm a little skittish about the propane (maybe it's something I just need to get used to) so the 12V sounds like a good option, but...I have no idea what I'm doing. On the bright side, I managed to repack the wheel bearings myself with some supervision from hubby, so I'm not completely inept...but the fridge is starting to make me feel like I am! Greatly appreciate any advice (please just keep in mind this is new territory for me when you're explaining...)
If you're concerned about LP, I installed a 12v/120v marine fridge in an Airstream motor home a couple of months ago. It is compressor driven, rather than convection ammonia. It fit in the same space a 6 cubic foot Dometic came out, and even had a couple of inches headroom. Of course, it cost twice as much... The 12 volt draw averages around 2 amps.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
There really isn't much of a factual basis to worry much about propane. It is a reliable and relatively safe form of fuel. The Dometic Americana we purchased is "three way," i.e., propane, 12v and 110v. I believe one of the keys for an LP fridge is to ensure good air circulation in the back of the unit. I plan to install some small fans to ensure the unit works properly. One concern I had about a compressor unit is noise. The Airstream is small and I'd like to keep it as quiet as possible.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote