Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2002, 12:32 PM   #21

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The exterior fan will help in the effeciency of the refrigerator. Obviously it is not necessary since natural convection (heat rising) will draw in cooler air through the side door albeit not as quickly as if you had a fan blowing up the compartment.

The issue of driving with the gas on has lots of opinions. Personally I consider it a fairly safe practice, especially in light of the new POL valves which will cut off the gas if a heavy discharge occurs.

The real danger is the refueling issue when you pull into a gas station. Gasoline fumes can find their way into and around the refrigerator potentially causing an explosion and fire.

I always pull off before fueling to shut down the refrigerator. I do not relight until I'm away from the fuel dispensing area. I do this faithfully. If you don't think you can do this, then travel with the gas off.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 01:07 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks Brett,

As you might have noticed I live in Phoenix, and plan on travelling to Mexico. Outside temps have been known to get to 120+ in June. (Course it's a dry heat ha ha ha) And I do not plan on being in my trailer during those times. However triple didget temps I will encounter. ~~~~ And my refer is on the curb side under the awning. So my awning will have multiple functions. ~~~~

Thanks Jack for the advise on traveling. I have not upgraded my propane tanks. (The current ones are junk anyway) And my fuel tank fill is on the opposite side of my van than the refer, however why take the chance. So it is reasonable that if I travel with the refer on propane and the flame goes out, the gas will be turned off with the new POL valve?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-06-2002, 01:39 PM   #23
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
On the traveling with gas on issue, I do it but I also shut down the gas when pulling into a gas station, I have seen sone of the pictures of folks that did not and most RV's do not look good burnt!

The refer should shut off automatically when the unit goes out. There is a termocouple that will cause the safety valve to close with minimum LP gas loss. So the only worry is if it goes out while towing. I have not ever had one go out while towing, unless I ran out of gas.

There are some states that will not allow you to have the propane on while towing especially those that have tunnels. It is illegal to tow thru most tunnels with the propane on at the tank.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 02:45 PM   #24

Fenton , Missouri
Traveling with gas on.

As noted earlier if your flame blows out, the thermocouple should shut off the main gas supply. I have run out of gas while traveling and my refrigerator will attempt 3 times to automatically relight. If it fails, the check light comes on the gas valve stays closed and no further relights are attempted until I cycle the unit off/on switch.

Keep in mind that each refrigerator has it own way of handling either condition based on its vintage and brand. Your's will probably operate differently in some aspects to mine.

While your tow vehicle gas fill and trailer refrigerator are on different sides, the issue of leaving the refrigerator lite should not depend upon this orientation. In many cases you may have gas pumps on either side of your trailer and lots of wind currents picking up gas vapors from others fueling their cars or trucks. This should not be a situation that requires any choices. The refrigerator needs to be turned off. If you can't maintain that disipline, then travel with the gas off.

Personally, I would rather not refuel at the same time another RV is fueling since I do not know what the state of his refrigerator is. Call me paranoid but the only one I can count on is me.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-06-2002, 08:55 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
I am in the habit of leaving my fridge lit all times, including when refueling the tow vehicle. My old fridge is a pain to light. Someone on the inside has to press and hold the pilot button while I unlock the exterior cover, reach inside the compartment and light the burner with the butane lighter, replace the exterior door and lock it.

The fridge is on the opposite side of the trailer from the truck's fuel tank. I never pull the trailer next to the gas island. I only pull up to the first pump and leave the trailer back away from any of the gas pumps. This practice may just provide a false sense of security. I once witnessed a kid filling a gas can spill gas all over the cement. I backed the trailer out onto the street rather than drive past. That kind of event makes you realize Jack is correct in his post. The safest option is to extinguish the flame before fueling. I'll have to find a way quick and easy procedure to extinguish and relight the fridge from the outside to obtain an adequate level of safety and convenience.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 07:19 AM   #26

Fenton , Missouri
Jim,
I appreciate your candor. You are prime evidance that my paranoia regarding other RV's at gas stations isn't unfounded. It's just not worth the potential of calamity that lurks if you continue to fuel with it on.

On the plus side a cold refrigerator can maintain a fairly safe temperature for quite a few hours. You might consider preloading it the night before you leave. The inherent cold from the contents will also help in maintaining temperature.

Since I have always traveled with the refrigerator on (we always seem to carry some form of ice cream), I'm not sure what the point is when you approach unacceptable temperatures. I would guess a lot would depend upon outside temperatures.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-07-2002, 11:27 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

I normally only travel 200/250 miles a day, so I don't light the gas on the refer. It stays good & cold for 5 or 6 hours until I reach the next camp ground. I do leave the water heater with the gas on most of the time. I seldom ever stop for gas because I can go at least 350 miles or more on a tank, so I always fill the tank before hooking up & I don't have to stop for gas. I have stopped for gas & forgot about the water heater being on. I won't let that happen again! Jack's right, don't pull in next to another RV pumping gas. It might be me forgetting the water heater was on!
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 04:29 PM   #28
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Somewhere I read that opening the door of the fridge to see how cold it is inside causes a tremendous loss of cooling. So I can tell what the temps are I installed a remote sensing indoor/outdoor electronic thermometer. The unit is installed by the fridge and the sensor wire runs thru the abck of the fridge where other wires come in. Now I know how hot it is the motorhome as well as the temp in the fridge.

$20.00 at Radio Shack.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 05-08-2002, 04:33 PM   #29
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Brett,

Awesome idea. I have one of those thermometers in my home that I bought @ target. Sure would let me know what's going on inside without opening the refer.

What do you use to seal the opening (that was made bigger) that the senser went through? Silicone?

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-08-2002, 06:32 PM   #30
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
My refer has the controls at the bottom on the right side inside the fridge. I pulled the cover off the control box and found where there were wires already run thru the chassis. I was able to push a small phillips screwdriver thru the original putty , push the probe and wire thru and remash the putty to seal up the hole. I also had to remove a rubber boot off the back of the fridge to see the wires/putty. Once I had the probe in the fridge I fed the wire thru a slot in the bottom edge of the control box and just have it sticking out into the fridge. The contol box houses the thermostat for the electric portion of the fridge so I feel that this would be a good place to have the probe. Also by having it on the bottom of the frige like this I wont be catching anything on it.

I also installed a 12 VDC fan in the rear of the fridge to help the natural convection air flow up the vent. I will have to see how it helps on my next trip out.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Old 05-09-2002, 05:35 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
One of the best tips yet!!

Family;

I have to agree with Action. This has to be one of the best tips posted on this forum to-date. I have seen many posts on the "other" lists including the old VAC Archive asking about Refer temps and this is the best solution and answer to the question I have seen to-date. This has risen to the top of my must do list. Thanks.

I found this one at JC Whitney and will let you know how it works. $12, Bought 2. I will mount them in a pair together opposite the entry door, on the street side wall and run one outside to get the Outdoor temps. My Refer is on the street side. This way I will see them as soon as I enter the Trailer. I think it will look cool too. (Always a factor, right?)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jht...D=4821&BQ=jcw2

Another one to look at might be this one. It is wireless. If the receiver/display is within a foot of the refer it should? work fine. $29 +SH.

http://www.gadgets4sure.com/cgi-bin/...3581&2D1041459

-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 02:34 PM   #32

Fenton , Missouri
Let's take this solution one last step. I have seen lots of wireless thermometers at fairly low prices. Why not mount (with velcro) a wireless sending unit to an inside wall of the refrigerator. The receiving unit usually shows inside temp and remote temp.

Seems to me that this eliminates any concern about wiring. I have a remote outside my home. Next time the Safari's in the drive, I'll try a test. I bet it will work great. If it does, I think I'll buy one for permanent use.

Keep in mind you could move it at your lesure from the refrigerator to the freezer. Allows you the ability to monitor either.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-09-2002, 03:19 PM   #33
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Even better idea! Where does one get a wireless unit? Approx cost?

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-09-2002, 03:22 PM   #34
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
So I guess I should read before I type!!!!!!!!

Bobby, will that one(from your link) work if it is inside a refer? That is not out in open air.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-09-2002, 04:10 PM   #35

Fenton , Missouri
Wireless thermometers

Quote:
Originally posted by Action
Even better idea! Where does one get a wireless unit? Approx cost?

>>>>>>>>>>Action
I have seen them as low as $30 which covers the main unit and the remote. I bought my current one at Sam's about 3 years ago for $35. I have seen many versions in a mail order catalog called Heartland that hits our house every 60 days or so. I even think they have a web page. Radio Shack has them but I think they are overpriced.

Keep in mind the remote units are weather resistant so any cold and dampness will not harm them.

I'll check for some links and post them.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 05-09-2002, 07:15 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
jcanavera, Action

Beat ya Both

Look at my post above. I already posted a link to a wireless unit.

Could not help it. I am into HomeAutomation Gadgets. I have a wireless weather station in my home. Have had it for years. I auto post the data every 15 minutes 24X7.

http:\\www.bobbywright.net\~bobbyw\weather

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 07:36 PM   #37
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Cold adult beverages

Bobby,

I did click the gadget link that you provided. Then I emailed them on the remote thermometer. They came back and said, yeah it's been done in a refer before, however the transmit range is very short. And to set the gauge real close to the refer cause of all of the metal.

Thanks for the link.

Hmmmmm... now if I can get the refer to serve me a cold one while I sit on the gaucho .....

Anyway awesome weather info on your link! Does Willard Scott call you often?

>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-10-2002, 09:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I did a search on barometers last year when I was in the market for a cable-free barometer/thermometer for hunting season. I purchased an Oregon Scientific BAR888 from www.attitudeweb.com on sale for $59.95 (MSRP $129.95) which came with one wireless remote transmitter showing a temp on it also. The base unit can receive up to 3 wireless remote sensors. These sensors are THR138 cable free remote sensor with LCD (came with unit), THN138 cable free remote without LCD and THC138 cable free remote sensor with waterproof probe. My THR138 was sitting on my tanks for a week in several days of rain and never batted an eye. I had plans to buy a THN138, mount it outside the trailer near the regulator and move the THR138 inside the front area. The base unit stays on the dresser opposite the twin bed curbside. It displays time based on the atomic clock, an alarm, date, pressure trends and forecasts the weather. It also has high/low temp alarm settings. The THN138 might be a candidate for the fridge/freezer. Camping World had this additional sensor for $25.

Also check www.weatherconnection.com for great info on the BAR888 or Brookstone Weather Smart (I think at www.brookstone.com).

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 03:34 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
FYI...
Wal-Mart has wireless remote temp devices with atomic clock feature for $22.00 Works every bit as good as my Oregon Scientific unit at home. for half the cost.
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote