Old 04-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
St. Petersburg , Florida
Swollen Door Dometic RM100

I've just purchased a 76 31', and it's mostly very good. HOWEVER, there are a few issues I need to tackle before hitting the road.

The stickiest is the freezer door. It has swollen to the point it can not be closed. I've read the posts on how to fix the foam, and I think I understand the process. But, I have no idea how to get the door apart. It's off. I've removed the rubber seal and I'm staring at this thing trying to figure out how it comes apart. Thus far, I don't see how I can get it apart, in a way that lets me get it back together.

If this has been covered before, I apologize, but I haven't been able to find the specifics on how to get it done.

Thanks for any/all help. I'm sure this is only the first of many such requests I'll be making.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Lake Tapps , Washington
I have a relatively intact RM100 with a bad cooling unit. Due to it's age, nobody seems to want to repair or supply refurbished cooling units for them. That means it is available for parts. I am in the Tacoma WA area. If you can use any of it, I will be generous.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I could use the shelves out of it if you still have those and it sounds like Andy needs the door.

Perry
Old 07-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieAndy View Post
I've just purchased a 76 31', and it's mostly very good. HOWEVER, there are a few issues I need to tackle before hitting the road.

The stickiest is the freezer door. It has swollen to the point it can not be closed. I've read the posts on how to fix the foam, and I think I understand the process. But, I have no idea how to get the door apart. It's off. I've removed the rubber seal and I'm staring at this thing trying to figure out how it comes apart. Thus far, I don't see how I can get it apart, in a way that lets me get it back together.

If this has been covered before, I apologize, but I haven't been able to find the specifics on how to get it done.

Thanks for any/all help. I'm sure this is only the first of many such requests I'll be making.
This is a SEMI-Intelligent GUESS - and it's worth exactly what you paid for it! (nada)

It seems logical that the screws for the hinges and the handle could also penetrate through the outer and inner panels - so perhaps if you took them out the two would come apart. Also many refrigerator and freezer doors have "panel insert" slots that let you change the front from say brushed stainless to wood look panels. If you have insert slots, take them off (they are screwed on at the sides) and the front and back may flop apart.
Other than that, there might be "pry points" where there's a plastic or metal protrusion that goes into a slot on the inside panel. If you use a slim screw driver right on the pry points, you can pop the two sides apart. Experiment carefully and gently with the screwdriver.

Not responsible for any damage - and you already have a replacement volunteered so... happy hunting (but I hope someone here has actually DONE this repair and chimes in).

Paula