Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
spiral baffle position question

i have a propane only fridge original to a 59 18 footer (i dont think its a marvel and there is no tag). i fired it up today and it didnt get cold at all after an hour. i thought i read something hear about the spiral baffle needing to be in a certian position. i am runnning it fully inserted. is its function to divert heat? can i pull it half way? i guess i will have to pull the whole thing and clean it good and maybe burp it?
greenrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig View Post
i have a propane only fridge original to a 59 18 footer (i dont think its a marvel and there is no tag). i fired it up today and it didnt get cold at all after an hour. i thought i read something hear about the spiral baffle needing to be in a certian position. i am runnning it fully inserted. is its function to divert heat? can i pull it half way? i guess i will have to pull the whole thing and clean it good and maybe burp it?
greenrig,

The spiral baffle is located in a precise position and it should hang at ONLY that position......at the end of the hangar wire....fully inserted into the flue tube. It is NOT adjustable.

The spiral baffle is at the exact spot where the refrigerant (liquid ammonia) is heated in the pump tube so it rises to the condenser for combination with hydrogen....creating intense cold.

You should wait 8-12 hours before expecting any heat transfer from within the refer box. 1 hour is simply not enough time!!!

BE PATIENT!

A good cleaning of the LP burner, spiral baffle and flue tube wouldn't hurt either!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
8-10 hours!! you are not kidding are you? so if you go camping with your vintage fridge, your vacation time will be up before the fridge gets cold? i had an older 2 way norcold that made ice cubes in an hour of plugging it in -that was using the 120v side but isnt it the same heating element?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrig View Post
8-10 hours!! you are not kidding are you? so if you go camping with your vintage fridge, your vacation time will be up before the fridge gets cold? i had an older 2 way norcold that made ice cubes in an hour of plugging it in -that was using the 120v side but isnt it the same heating element?
A 50 year old reefer, with the old technology, is sort of like a senior citizen.

Takes a while to get in the mood.

You should feel a little cooling on the freezer plate, provided the freezer is empty, in an hour or 2. Then it should progressively get colder.

If not, then either the cooling unit is bad, or the burner and orifice and the chimney need a good cleaning. The LPG pressure could also be low.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1961 19' Globetrotter
1959 18' "Footer"
santa cruz , California
thanks andy,
the freezer plate wasnt the least bit cool after 4 hours. i dont think i have a pressure issue. it gurgles but no cooling. i will try cleaning tomorrow. and 'last chance' burping. -has anyone actually had any luck with burping? actually maybe i should ask if i am waisting my time cleaning at this point. if its gurgling and not getting the least bit cool will cleaning make enough difference ?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Old refrigerator burping

I was successful in reviving a 1963 refrigerator that I had parked for 10 years. I simply took it out of the trailer and set it on its head for a day and then back upright. It worked perfectly but of course it does not start to get cold for 3 hours after you turn it on. I usually buy a bag of ice before we hit the road and when I reach the campsite I light it up and the cooling kicks in before the ice fully melts. Two dollars of ice is a cheap expense compared to the gas I have to buy to tow it to the location.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Here is a good thread on that subject:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...dge-33735.html

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote