Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2004, 08:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

servicing gas part of refrigerator

When I recently serviced the gas part of our Dometic RM2611 3-way refrigeraor, the biggest challenge was finding the correct brush to clean the flue, which is just over 1 inch in diameter, and about 3 feet long. I eventually bought one on-line here gas flue brush for $15. The other items needed were a can of de-natured alcohol from the local ACE hardware store, and a can of "Blow-off" compressed air from the local NAPA store for $4. The procedure I followed was
1. Disconnect the 12v and 120volt electric supplies, and switch off the gas valve at the rear of the refrigerator.
2. Turn off the gas bottles.
3. Disconnect the gas supply copper pipe at the rear of the refer.
4. Remove the cover to the burner assembly, and remove the lead to the igniter.
5. Remove the burner assembly by undoing the two screws. The top one was partially obscured by the thermocouple. I reluctantly had to bend the thermocouple slightly to remove the top screw.
6. Remove the burner jet and place it in a clean container with enough alcohol to submerge it.
7. Remove the 6 screws holding the refer in place. Two are at the rear at the bottom. Four are inside the trailer. Two at the bottom are behind a decorative plate, itself secured with two small screws, and two at the top are behind plastic plugs. A magnet or magnetic tipped screwdriver is useful to retrieve these screws when they drop down inside the top channel.
8. Slide the refer forward into the trailer onto some timbers at the correct level. I needed two lengths of 4" by 4" about 18 inches long. Pushing from the rear of the refer starts the process, followed by pulling from the front.
9. Place a piece of paper under the bottom of the flue to collect soot and rust. Remove the screw and cap at the top of the flue and remove the spiral element from the flue. Clean this element. Insert the flue brush from the top, and clean the flue. I got half a cup of debris. Replace the spiral element and the cap.
10. Replace the refer in the cavity, and replace the 6 screws.
11. Remove the burner jet from the alcohol, and blow through the jet with the compressed air. Replace the burner jet. Do not poke anything through the jet. It has rifling in the bore.
12. Reverse the dismantling procedure, ensuring that the igniter and thermocouple are in their original positions.
13. Switch on the refer and check that all systems are operational.

The manual states that this procedure should be carried out once or twice a year, and only by a trained and qualified gas technician, so don't do it unless you are confident in dealing with gas and electric systems. You are dealing with potentially lethal systems. I prefer to be responsible for my own safety. It took me one and three quarter hours the first time. The gas flame was beautiful to behold after the servicing! Nick.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Nick,

Good Job! But you forgot one VERY important operation. You should check every gas connection with either bubble solution or a gas vapor detector EVERY TIME YOU OPEN ONE!!!!!!! I can't stress this enough. It is a major safety issue, as I've seen seemingly tight connections leak for whatever reason.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
nickcrowhurst.

Another quickie flue brush, and cheap, is to wrap a coat hanger around some course steel wool.

Does a very good job.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Yes, two good points made. I would edit the original post, if it were possible.
Nick.