Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
San Diego , California
Screw length for side of refrigerator

When I uninstalled my old Rm-60 I removed several screws from a side wood cabinet panel that were screwed into the side of the refrigerator.

I am now installing my new Dometic RM3962 refrigerator and find that the same screws pop right out of the insulation of the side of this new refrigerator.

Has anyone ever screwed into the sides of these new model refrigerators and if successfully, what length screw did you use?

The screws I removed were only 3/4". I am thinking I need to use a longer screw to hold the paneling up against the fridge, but am looking for someone with experience to share.

Thanks in advance!

Remodel blog: Air Home
Work: https://www.emaxaction.com/
AirHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
As I replaced the old refrigerator in my 1976 I chose to go with a Wirldpool from Lowes as it was much cheaper plus I would always be plugged to shore power. I modified the cabinet and placed the unit in. I wanted to put one screw through the side cabinet to hold things together. I called a service tech and explained what I was doing and he said the freon lines were not around. I decided to drill a thirty-second hole for the screw as close to the corner as possible. I would easy bet hundred dollars I would miss.Unfortunately I went dead center of an aluminum line maybe the size of a pencil lead. Went back the next day and purchased another one. What luck and skill. I used a hole saw to see where to drill the new one and it was a million to one chance. Wish I could help you more
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
On most newer RV fridges, you will find warning labels advising CAUTION against piercing the outer insulation layer. This includes the sides of the fridge!!

When properly installed, you will find ample opportunities to secure the fridge on the front top/bottom retention holes with screws of proper length to hit and hold in the wool. Also, add 2-3 screws to the bottom plate at the rear of the fridge and there is virtually no way that the fridge will move from its' cabinet.

OTOH, if the cabinet is not properly constructed with the correct dimensions and proportions for the rear baffle space....you WILL have problems. Just follow the installation manual that comes with every new RV fridge.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote