Old 06-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Lufkin , Texas
Rusty Refrigerator Tubes?

I am replacing the AC heating element in my dometic and the tubes I have exposed in the process are pretty rusted. Should I clean and paint these? Would it need to be high temp paint?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Lufkin , Texas
Anybody?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
IMO I would say to paint them. You can hit it with a wire brush to clean off the rust. You need to be careful that you do not break the tubes by being too aggressive. You will need to use high temp paint anything else would cook off and produce a bad smell.

Does the frig work off LP? Are you sure the heating element is the issue? A lot of the time the pipes get clogged up with crystallized ammonia and will not work. Worse case you can replace to whole back part of the unit really easy, for about $400.

Good luck
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Lufkin , Texas
Thanks for the advice. I hope it is just the heating element. I did not try it on propane because I had to order the part before I had time to troubleshoot. The element is open.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
Lufkin , Texas
I think this has been a bad idea. I do not think i will ever be able to paint all surfaces of the tubes and I have destroyed the fiberglass insulation surrounding them. So i have probably done more harm than good. I guess i will just cram the insulation back in as good as I can.

I Noticed that someone has cut of the shroud/hood that would have directed the air from the lower outside vent to the vent on the top. There is also nothing on the top of the flu for the gas flame to direct it to the top vent. This means the only thing keeping CO from collecting inside it the natural ventilation and the wood trim. Is there supposed to be a chimney/ duct from the flu to the top? I have a CO sensor mounted directly above the fridge and it has never gone off but I still think I need to do something else.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
My advice to you, is to tell you what I practice, DoNot use a wire wheel, simply flake off the loose rust/paint. Then Use a product called Rust Converter. It is available at any auto parts store. It is cheap. Pour it in a bowl and brush it on liberaly. It will resemble milk. Once it is dry, it turns black. depending on the rust, you might have to do 2 coats. After that, you can paint or leave it be. Use only "Rust Converter"

My frige in the trailer I sold was from 1984, before that trailer, I had one from 1976.

Hi temp paint is not necessary if you decide to paint it, just make sure you let the rust converter dry over night at least

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote