Old 08-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2006 25' Safari
Buffalo Grove , Illinois
running the refrigerator when towing

Our Refrigerator does not work when we are pulling, should I be using the gas option or what, advise!!!

Airhaus on the road fulltime in Nov. 2010

airhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Yes you should use the gas mode when on the road unless you have a n extremely long extension cord. LOL

wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
There are different modes for fridges. Some are two-way, generally meaning either propane or 110 volt. In the latter case, this means being plugged in somewhere (shore power, generator). Others are three-way: propane, 110 volt or 12 volt. I'm not sure how North American three-ways work, but on our European Dometic three-way, the 12 volt must come from the tow vehicle, not from the RV.

Many modern units require a smidgen of 12-volt electricity to operate on propane. (It's just to operate the control system, not to participate directly in cooling.) Note that this 12 volt supply can come from the RV.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
In our 2006 19' Bambi we set it on "Auto" which means that when the frig detects 110 current it is on 110 and when you unplug or turn your generator off it switches automatically to propane. You have the option to override the 110 and use propane at any point. I presume your 2006 would have a similar set up even if your fridge is large than that in a Bambi.

Again, presuming that your battery charged, if you have it set on Auto and it is not switching automatically or not cooling on propane while towing, something is amiss and you should have it checked.
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
. , .
this thread should probably be moved to the fridge SUB forum...

where u will find this question regularly addressed.

and the debate about blowing UP at fuel/filling station stops.

there is even an OLD POLL on the topic...

it is surprising 2me that nearly 1 n 3 do NOT run the fridge in route.

and there are those that promote turning it OFF while traveling and using ice...

that would NOT be cool imo.

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
I was just joking around before. The auto mode for your fridge will be as described in the earlier post. You must leave your propane tanks turned on and have a good battery to run the 12 VDC circuit board in the fridge. When you unplug from shore power do you still have 12 VDC lighting. Your tow vehicle may be equipped with a charge circuit line to recharge the trailer battery when in tow. A simple way to check is to turn on all the lights in the trailer and if they get brighter when you plug in to your tow vehicle and the motor is running then it is equipped. Please advise if you have 12 VDC w/o shore power and if T/V has charge circuit and I will try to help. Also does the fridge try to light on propane and fail and go into lockout mode.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
To answer your question, YES put it on the Gas mode. I also have a 2006 Safari and the options are, automatic or gas. If you choose automatic, it will run on electricity when plugged in but "automatically" change over to gas when you unhook. I run mine on gas all the time because it actually cools better than electricity.

If your fridge is working while plugged in but stops working when you are traveling, you might have another issue. Try running it on gas and see what happens.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Regardless of the naysayers, RV fridges are not well enough insulated to keep food safe over a day's towing in summer heat. I have an inside-outside wireless thermometer with the outside sender mounted in the fridge. Even with the fridge on propane, mine will creep up from the low 30s to about 45 to 47 during a summer travel day. My fridge does not blow out. I attribute the temperature creep to poor air circulation that starves the airflow over the fins. This seems to be common in 28' trailers.

Once when I forgot to switch the propane bottle, the inside temperature was in the high 50s when I caught it late in the day.

I just installed the Snyder fan kit that insures airflow over the fins. I'm curious to see whether the fridge will hold temperature better with forced airflow.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote