Old 05-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
1970 27' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
1984 29' Sovereign
Kansas City , Missouri
RM763 Front Switch- Wired wrong or I am just Batty?

My 1984 Dometic RM 763 Fridge is a 3-way (120V, 12V, LP). I am not fond of how it has to decide on its own to go to gas nor that it keeps trying to go to gas even when good 120V is operating it. But here is one reason I think its doing that - the front power switch has 3 positions - "Left- ON; Center - OFF; Right 0 ON. But guess what, I only get a power light and operation in the "Center position" marked "OFF". I have ohm'd out one "set" of connections and yep, according to the schematic, it doesn't seem correct. I have the original schematic, such as it is, barely outlining just the connections, not the board itself. The catch is that the switch looks original and does not appear to have been tampered with. In other words, no solder or signs of previous connections on the unused switch tabs. I tried Laurelhurst Distributors and was told I had a good part # but the switch is discontinued. Would like your thoughts. I did find that I don't have a 12V heating element installed, though wiring is there. So I have ordered that and a new 120v element as well. I also must divulge that I replaced the cooling unit with one from RVCool. That part, when it "operates", appears to be doing its job. But I have no way to tell if I have gotten the end of the thermostat wire all the way to where it needs to be but assume I do since I have been able to insert all the wire that was inserted in the old unit. I would have just purchased a new Dometic or Norcold but I cannot get the same size and I sure don't want anything smaller. So I am essentially rebuilding this one. I do have it working, just not as well before the old cooling unit got terminally clogged and wouldn't cool the lower box. I now suspect I have other control board/switch and maybe thermostat issues. Can detail more as requested. Mostly concerned about the switch. Thanks for your interest. Russ
rwojtkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote