Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Residential refrigerator?

On another thread I mentioned that we would probably replace the standard RV refrigerator with a residential unit when/if the RV one died. One person was horrified that I would even think of such a thing. Since that is quite common with other RV's, why wouldn't it be a good idea for an Airstream? I understand that going to a 120 V refrigerator means that on travel days it must either go without power OR run on an inverter since it can't run on propane.

We don't do much boondocking (in fact, we haven't done any yet). There are far too many stories of coaches being destroyed by fires that started in/near an RV refrigerator to make me feel comfortable. I understand that people have 20-year-old Dometic or Norcold units that still work just fine, but people with 2-year-old units have neither the refrigerator nor the coach it was in due to fires.

Is the issue a battery that can't run the refrigerator for a few hours? Can that be solved by a larger battery? Pure sine wave inverters aren't cheap, but are common, and they can be used to run a computer as well as a refrigerator.

FWIW, we replaced the old Dometic side-by-side in our Foretravel with a residential unit. We have at least as much refrigerator and freezer space as the old one had AND space for a broom closet too. The new sine wave inverter is mounted in the same place as the old square wave one was, and is about 1/3 the size and half the weight.

So, is replacing a dead RV refrigerator in an Airstream with a residential unit a bad idea?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Personal opinion, yes it is a bad idea. Reason, AC only. Running a frig with an inverter will suck batteries quickly.
Sounds like you have already made up your mind. It is your trailer to do with as you please.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
No personal experience with a residential fridge/freezer in an RV, but it seems to me that "it depends". Depends on your situation. If it makes sense to you, do it..... it's your trailer. The only drawback I could see in your situation would be resale value or the potential buyer limits it would place on your trailer if/when you want to sell it.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
"Running a frig with an inverter will suck batteries quickly." "The only drawback I could see in your situation would be resale value or the potential buyer limits it would place on your trailer if/when you want to sell it."

Thanks for the answers. From the first answer I would infer that the batteries in an Airstream aren't very large. From the second answer I would infer that a residential refrigerator decreases the value, unlike other coaches. Since residential refrigerators are becoming standard in many new coaches I would have thought it would be considered an upgrade.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #5
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Do the "new coaches" you reference have generators on board? I could see that working OK.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The is no good reason to believe your refrigerator is unsafe. We would be miserable losing the versatility of our propane or electric fridge, and dealing with the constant substantial AC power a residential fridge requires.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska

The small dorm or apartment 120 volt refers don't draw a lot of power. And they don't run continuously like the 3 way or even the 2 way units do. They are better insulated and do not require an intake or exhaust vent.
A number of motor homes have standard household refers. And they are BIG. But they also have huge battery banks.
The original refer in my '74 Argosy still works. If and when it does crap out. I will be looking at a 120 volt unit. With the idea of increasing my battery capacity. My coach currently has an 1,100 watt inverter. Which I install 4 years ago.
Some serious mods would have to be made for more battery capacity.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

I use a residential refrigerator, not because I am afraid of a gas refig, but because I wanted a nice big refrigerator and I didn't want to pay a fortune for it.

My 10 cuft. unit will run for AT LEAST two days on my two one hundred amp hour batteries via my inverter.

When the trailer is plugged into my truck while traveling, the alternator runs the fridge indefinitely, while charging my house batteries to a full charge, ready for another night.

Imo, backed by practical experience, a residential fridge can be a good way to go.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Contrary to popular opinion, a modern residential refrigerator does not consume a lot of electricity.

They are very efficient, multiples more energy efficient than any like sized ammonia refrigerator, whether running AC, DC, or propane.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Contrary to popular opinion, a modern residential refrigerator does not consume a lot of electricity.

Hmmmm..... definitely an option to consider if/when the Norcold 3-way fridge in our Avion goes out. It's not the one that came with the Avion new. I'd have to look at the P.O.'s documentation to see when it was installed.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I got my Haier off the floor at Lowe's for less than $400.

I can buy three of these for the price of one RV fridge. Of course an inverter is required, but I would have an inverter regardless.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
"Do the "new coaches" you reference have generators on board? I could see that working OK." The motor homes do, but the 5'ers don't.

"The is no good reason to believe your refrigerator is unsafe." You may well be right. Most RV's don't have fires. However, I've not read of any RV fires that started with the electric/propane hot water heater. I have read of many that started with the electric/propane refrigerator that was manufactured in the past five years or so.

The problem, it seems, is not the design of the refrigerator, which is ancient, but with the manufacturing. As material and labor costs increase, manufacturers try to cut corners by using thinner metal and rushing the work. The result, not surprisingly, is a product that may fail sooner. That translates into another sale. Yes, there are 20-year-old RV refrigerators that are still working perfectly, but somehow I doubt that there will be as many 2010 refrigerators working in 2030 as 1990 refrigerators were in 2010.

Anyway, my point is NOT to say RV refrigerators are unsafe, but to ask whether replacing a dead one in an Airstream with a residential refrigerator is reasonable and doable. Should we decide to switch from our Foretravel to an Airstream, we'll use the RV refrigerator in it as long as it works.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Obviously, you can use a 120v reefer in an RV versus a three way or a solar compatible one.

Be sure to distinguish the experience of others in their recommendations as to whether a vacationer (maybe a few days or weeks) versus fulltime AND the conditions under which it is expected to operate.

A high heat summer will draw more electricity. And a ten hour day on the road in 100F heat may/may not keep items cold or frozen. I have found that it will not. Plan that it will not and proceed accordingly

Yes, it hurts resale. And reduces trailer capability.

There is at least one thread on Woodalls showing an installation and trim.

Good luck
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

A high heat summer will draw more electricity. And a ten hour day on the road in 100F heat may/may not keep items cold or frozen. I have found that it will not. Plan that it will not and proceed accordingly

I have traveled when it has been VERY HOT, the refrigerator and freezer stay very cold.

The truck alternator EASILY keeps the fridge running, and easily recharges the battery at the same time. (June and July in the desert)

I write this out of experience, not projection or assumption.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
No doubt it works well for some, I rely on our basic factory solar often and I don't think there's enough to add the fridge compressor to it. Adding another battery might be enough if the sunlight was reliable, which varies in different parts of the country.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I have traveled when it has been VERY HOT, the refrigerator and freezer stay very cold.

The truck alternator EASILY keeps the fridge running, and easily recharges the battery at the same time. (June and July in the desert)

I write this out of experience, not projection or assumption.

But not all rigs will do it. Age, undersized wiring, the list goes on. To plan accordingly is to come to your experience as it is not a given.

In plenty of cases the alternator will not put a full charge on the house batteries.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
That may well be, I am drawing on my own experience here, but with my stock 08 Chevy, the fridge will run endlessly if the trailer is towed every couple days or so.

My furnace fan uses MUCH more electricity than my refrigerator.

On a cold night, the furnace will kill the batteries in 8 or 10 hours, the refrigerator takes at least a couple days.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
David, go for it.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I put a small residential fridge in my Bambi II because it was under $200 (versus $800+ for LP). It was better insulated than the RV version and had a nice large separate freezer. Towing all day in the Texas heat with NO POWER, it kept meat frozen and milk cold as long as it was kept closed. We do not really boondock and if we did, would need a generator to run A/C in the summer anyway. YMMV.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Many new, larger trailers, 5th wheels and motor homes are using residential refrigerators. They are also powered by sine wave inverters and 600-800 amp/ hour battery banks.

In an Airstream with it's limited storage space, this is not really practical. What DOES work well is the AC/DC marine fridges with the Danfoss compressor.

These are especially well suited for DC-direct use and draw as low as 2.5 amps. They also work especially well with a solar charging system.

I have many in use and the owners could not be happier with their choices. LP ammonia-absorption technology dates to the mid 19th century and having been peripherally involved in several fridge-caused fires, they DO ignite under certain situations. NOT my idea of a quality product!!!!!!

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote