Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 AM   #1
1977 31' Sovereign
La Center , Washington
Replacing RM100 with smaller frig and Microwave

Hello, I'm replacing my old Dometic RM100 in my 1977 31ft Airstream Sovereign. The boiler is ruptured and I just removed it today.We are planning to install a shorter refrigerator so as to leave room above it for a built in microwave.

My research is pointing me to the RM2551 refrigerator and the CDMW12 microwave. The dimensions of each unit looks like it will work in my existing opening. By adding a 3/4" shelf above the new frig to create the cutout for the new microwave.

I figure I will need to use the aluminum sheets that are riveted to the sides and bottom of the old RM100. Rivet them onto the back of the new frig to create ducting and seperation, for proper ventilation to the existing refrigerator roof vent.

My question to you is do you see any problems with this configuration and if so do you have any recomendations as to a better setup or combination, brands, etc.

With all the recall threads I'm thinking of other brands like Norcold if I can find the correct size to fit my opening.

Also, our new Dexter axles should arrive about June 21st and I want to thank all on this forum for sharing thier experience and tips for fixing up these wonderful trailers. We go out and sit in it in the driveway almost every night. We just love it and are excited to hook her up and take her to the beach.

Thank you so much for any advice.

Terry & Deb

Babaluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
T & D,

It doesn't sound like a problem as long as the requirements for venting the rear of the unit are followed. I would check the Dometic web site for the proper spacing requirements of the unit you are considering.

Both Norcold (US) and Dometic (Sweden) make good absorption refers. Get the one that best fits your intended purpose and dimensions.
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote