Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2002, 06:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
replacing RM100 refrigerator...

I think the time has come to consider replacing the original RM100 in my '77 Sovereign. I seem to remember seeing horror stories here and other places about what a pain it is to do. According to the Dometic website, their RM2820 is an "exact" fit replacement for the RM100....sure sounds easy from that description!
Has anyone actually done this? Problems? Comments? Is the RM2820 a pretty decent unit?
Thanks
JG
JohnGalt48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:25 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

I just pulled mine to do some floor work underneath. I have an Argosy Minuet, and the floor plan has the frig at the end of the appliance line right next to the door. I had to remove the counter top and drill the rivets out of an angled piece of metal that is attatched to the frig and rises behind the vent for the frig. After that just disconnect the gas and unplug.

Jim
barbwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 07:26 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

changing refer in a 75 sovereign

I just pulled my old one out. The new one ((exact replacement)) Ha! the new one is just a little smaller, the door panels don't match. You need a 12 volt suppply to run it. I pulled it from the 12 socket next to the old one. The ref won't fit the hole it is smaller.. save all the wood for spacers. Takes about 3 hours to do it. The new ref is really worth the effort though.. keeps the bottom at 33% and the top at 5%. Just right for ice cream..... works best on the gas cycle at the highest setting. Default setting is on electric... Kase you gas runs out...
You need a helper to get the other one out.. drill and rivets are necessary. also the insulation around the bottom needs to be beefed up..
Old 12-22-2002, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
If you have that much room go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some 1" foam sheating like Celotex TuffR and cut some panels to surround it. My refrigerator only has 1" of insulation so another $20 doubled it.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:43 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Insulation

On my SOB Scamp, I used the foil-bubble-foil stufff that somes on a roll. I put it in with 3M spray adhesive and then stapled all around the edges.

Most hardware places have this material in rolls. My Scamp actually was insulated with the stuff underneath a fabric headliner.

The insulation made a neat job and totally stopped the heat that was coming in around the refrigerator cabinet.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 04:52 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Primatreat...
Thanks for the info...I'm assuming our trailers have the same floorplan. Where are the rivets I need to remove and replace? Did you have to remove the "credenza" where the tv sits right next to the fridge? Any problems hooking it up to the existing roof vent? I'm trying to budget how much beer I'm going to have to have on hand for my buddies to help me with this!
Thanks
JG
JohnGalt48 is offline   Reply With Quote