Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Fulltiming , via Jersey Shore and Philadelphia, PA
Replacing a 1969 Dometic M70 Refrigerator

Hello,

We woke up this morning to a strong odor of ammonia inside our fridge. I was able to quickly find the cause (leaking evaporator coil) but a solution is proving a bit more challenging. This would be a 2 way LP/electric unit. Trailer is a 1969 Land Yacht Ambassador Double, fridge is original to the coach.

Initially I wanted to install a new or refurbished cooling unit (512 A1). These don't appear to be readily available. Please advise if you have a lead on a reputable supplier.

Now I'm looking into retrofitting with a modern fridge. According to the original refrigerator's manual, it measures H: 59.5" x W: 23.25" x D: 22.375". The closest I've found in overall size from Dometic is the RM3762 and DM2662 which measure 1.5" deeper, 0.4375" wider and a several inches shorter. Measuring from the exterior access panel I'm seeing 5.75" clearance from the rear of the refer "frame" to the interior edge of the access panel, and 2.5" from the burner/heater cover to the access panel with the original unit.

I can live with the face of the fridge protruding an inch+ from the cabinet, the gap up top and I think I can wiggle in the <1/4" in each side width wise. I'll need to supply 12v to the control module for LP operation which I'm guessing will require a new DC wire run. I'm not particular to the Dometic brand, it's just where I looked first. If you happen to know of a brand and model that is any closer in dimension to the original I'd happily consider it.

Can anyone lend any insight to any other problems I may encounter? Is there anything I'm disregarding? We're full-timing so a functional fridge is important to us.

Thanks very much for any help!

Tim
hoagies_OTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
i'm tagging myself in this thread, as I've got to change out my '72 fridge too ... i discovered they are very expensive ...
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Fulltiming , via Jersey Shore and Philadelphia, PA
RV and Camper Refrigeration - Monroe, NC

Does anyone have any experience with rebuilt cooling units from RV & Camper Refrigeration in Monroe, NC? They seem to think very highly of their work, but I wouldn't want to just take their own word for it. I see their public reviews and ratings (BBB) are favorable, which I can't say for some other cooling unit suppliers I looked at. And I'm actually only a couple hours away so I wouldn't have to deal with packing and shipping. Thoughts?
hoagies_OTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Check with rvcool.com in Arkansas. We purchased a rebuilt cooling unit from them and were satisfied. Our unit was shipped to us. They do onsite work as well.
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
I replaced my failed Dometic with a Vitifrigo all electric. Amazingly small electrical draw. Smaller dimensions than the Dometic but same interior size. Also no worries about propane going down the road. Very pleased with it. It is designed for marine use.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote