Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Lexington , Kentucky
Replacement refrigerator not working

We're ready to give up and get rid of the 1979 Argosy that we've only had 1 week. The guy we bought it from told us that the old refrigerator would probably go at any time and should be replaced, which we did. Now, wishing we hadn't listened to him. Anyway, we got the "new" used refrigerator and installed it today. Came from a reputal company, but had to be shipped, so company isn't local to help us. Anyway, plugged it in and NOTHING! The old refrigerator that we took out was working. We also bought a new microwave to replace the one that came in the camper. So, the microwave is working, but not the refrigerator. Both are in the same outlet, just as the old refigerator and micro were. I'm not an electrician, so not sure what to look for. Something that concerns me, though, we did a battery replacement and it isn't charging. Could the two due to some related problem? But, the microwave works. Please help me out. Getting so discouraged!
kimberlyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If the new used refrigerator has a control board, then it needs 12 volts for that as well as 115 volts and or propane for the heat source.

More information would be nice, like model number of the refrigerator...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Hi and welcome to Airforums, Kimberlyjan!

Sorry you are having some problems dealing with your equipment. Don't worry though, lots of knowledge here to help you get back on track.

Regarding your refer (which is what we call refrigerators in RV land), are you confident that it isn't working? I say that because they can take hours to cool. Many members here start them up the day before they leave on trips for that reason.

Secondly, is it level? That's another key factor: they do NOT like to be off level when working.

Why not give us a model number and description of the refer while you're at it? Mainly the size. Is it a full-size one, or a smaller one?

Hang in there, help is on the way!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Don't get too discouraged, remember, an RV frig is not like the one at home. No noise to listenen for, and may take 4-6 hours before it starts cooling. The freezer should get cold first, the the lower part. Give it some time before you shoot it. It will cool quicker on LP.

If the batts don't charge check the converter. It is essentially a battery charger.

Good luck.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Lexington , Kentucky
It is a full size dometic 2652. There's no power. The lights on the outside nor the inside are coming on. We have the camper plugged up with shore power instead of using the battery, since the battery won't charge-- our other problem! So discouraged!
Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
OK, thanks for that info.

What you need to know is that even if you are using it on 120V, you need to have the 12V DC connection made, as pointed out by another poster. It is necessary because that is what powers the "brains" (circuit board) so that the refer can work.

The connections for that are often just a small, white plastic block with setscrews on the top. Two bare wires (or a wire with a plain, pointy lug on it) goes into the holes (one in each) and the setscrew is tightened to make a solid connection and to keep the wire from falling back out of the hole.

Then you should have lights, and who knows, maybe even cooling happening!

Oh, the 12V wires should be fairly obvious. Probably just haging around at the lower back section of the cavity that the refer sits in. There is a hatch on the outside that allows you to get at the 12V connection; look in there to find the wires. They should be fairly substantial, and you should really only find two of them.

Let us know how you make out?
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
ps: here is a link to your refer's installation and operating manual. Print it out and read, read, read!

http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...fer_Manual.pdf

or click here, if that link breaks
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Lexington , Kentucky
Thank you, Aage. Rain has just let up and my hubby had to go in to work, so at the moment, he's not here to try this out or for me to even ask if he hooked this up. When you say 12 volt, do you mean that the battery has to be working? See, we're just having all kinds of bad luck with this camper. We went and bought a brand new battery, but it isn't charging, so we took the battery out to see if it will charge on a battery charger. Anyway, makes us think the charger in the camper is bad also. More money to spend, I'm afraid! When hubby gets home, I'll have him to read what you've sent and show him the manual, which we didn't have, so thanks again for that! I'll let you know!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Kimberly,
Sorry your "honeymoon" with your new family member is being difficult.

On the bright side, you are learning the details early and will be far more comfy that you will be able to handle her little tantrums.

Love ain't easy but worth it.

Peace
Channing
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You're most welcome, Kim. I don't know if your husband has a bit of knowledge of 12V systems (it's really not complicated, but looks like it will be to the uninitiated), but the thing to do now is to look into the 120V to 12V power supply. You were right to remove or at least diconnect the new battery, since, if the converter (what we call that 120V to 12V power supply) isn't working properly, it's possible to hurt that new battery, and life will never be too happy in your trailer.

The 12V system includes all the lights in your trailer, the fan above your stove, and the fan above the seating area that comes on when you open its roof vent a certain amount. Also, your furnace runs on 12V, but the converter needs to be plugged in to house current, or your battery won't last very long.

So you can see, you need to know that the converter is in good shape.

What you can do while your husband isn't there, is to print out the manual and read through it. It's full of a lot of stuff you don't need to know, but by reading, you can at least figure out how to operate it...

Keep us informed!
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Is the new/used RM2652 the same unit that was replaced. My original Dometic refer in my 1976 Sovereign did not have 12v power and no lights. So the old unit may not have had 12v power as the new/used RM2652 has and there may not be a 12v connection at that point in the trailer. Just a thought.

On the battery question. Is the converter working at all. Are any lights in the trailer working while on shore power.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Lexington , Kentucky
No, we replaced a dometic 100 with the new used 2652.

If the converter is bad, would it still be humming, because it sure does hum like it's working?
Old 07-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #13
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyjan View Post

If the converter is bad, would it still be humming, because it sure does hum like it's working?
You must use a meter to check proper voltage. Not only the noise.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Lexington , Kentucky
Ok, hopefully we have a meter to check the voltage. Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I'm just about in tears over this camper that I was SO excited about getting.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyjan View Post

The RM 100 was what was in my 1976 Sovereign as well, so there is no 12v power connection where the refer goes so a 12v supply line will need to be run for the new/used RM2652. Someone I am sure can respond on how to do this.

Yes humming means the converter is working, are your lights in the trailer working. More than likely you have the original converter in your trailer. Converters have come a long way since then and do a much better job of proving clean 12v power and charging your battery. They are also much quieter. Here is a link to BestConverter.com BestConverter - Converters, Inverters, Electrical Supplies, Electronics

Randy is a forum member and can guide you in selection of a new state of the art converter that best suits your needs.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Aha! The humming is a dead giveaway as to what you probably have: the original converter, the infamous "Univolt".

If that's true, I would heartily recommend that you replace it with a new, modern converter. Sorry to say they run around a couple of hundred dollars, but will run silently, and most importantly, will take much better care of your new battery. They use an "intelligent" charging system that has three different stages of charge to give the right power to you battery automatically, when needed.

Also, your new-to-you refer does need 12 volts. This is from the manual:

This refrigerator model is not designed for 12 volt DC operation of the cooling system; however, 12 volt DC must be supplied to the refrigerator to operate the controls.

So, that's why I said now is the time to turn your attention to the converter. We had a heck of a time with our 12V system until we replaced our converter. Don't waste your time with the Univolt, it's time is done, Kimberly.

You will also need a new fuse panel, since the one in the Univolt is likely finished, but they only run around $30 for a nice one.

Again, while it's not complicated to do this work, you need to have a clue about 12V power. But I did ours, so it's not rocket surgery, as they say
Old 07-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Here is the Airstream Univolt story from BestConverter.cpm.com with the suggested new converters and fuse panel. Call Randy he will take care of you.

Airstream Univolt
Old 07-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #18

1972 25' Tradewind
Hammond , Louisiana
Hey Guys?
This is just an idea but might there be someone in the area -by Kimberly- that might be able to go by and look at the trailer? I know there is a section on the forum that has inspectors or locations of people. I never can find it
We could go but we are just a bit too far.
Husband has been in their shoes, at the beginning of our honeymoon, and it was not fun around here.
Jane
Janie Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Lexington , Kentucky
Love that idea, Janie! So, went out to the camper with my son who is a lineman and knows a little about electric. He noticed that not only is the converter humming, it's warm and he thought that meant it was working. Maybe the battery was bad even though it was new. Maybe my hubby hooked it up wrong! Doubtful thought. Here's my problem, for now, if the univolt works, I'd like to put off buying a new one until I recover from a tremendous amount of unexpected money already spent on the camper in a weeks time. Used my savings to buy the camper....the guy said we'd need a new refer, so bought one, but had to pay more than what he said it would cost. Knew it needed new tires, bought those. Was told it needed a new battery, so bought that and now wondering if it was the battery or the converter. But, when we got home, the camper had a side window that was shattered. The dude we bought it from had the side windows and bathroom window covered with tin. He said it was for extra privacy. I now feel that the window was already shattered and we didn't notice due to the tin. Once home, we didn't like the tin and took it off only to discover the window. So, that was another unexpected HUGE expense. I'm pretty broke for now. We bought the camper from a preacher and I'm beginning to think he was a crooked preacher. I wonder what else we will find that's wrong with it that he didn't tell us about.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1979 30' Argosy
Lexington , Kentucky
Sorry for that long post. Just felt the need to vent.