Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
replacing fridge with a used dometic

Just purchased a used RM2510( 1984) for my 65 Safari and the knobs are on the bottom of the fridge and are very hard to turn.Should I disassemble the entire unit or is there a lubricant for this problem that will not hurt other components? The knobs have long arms to reach to the back. Will coil cleaner (used on home A-coils work to clean things? I found the manual on line but they do not address these questions.HELP RiverRat

Old 06-09-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Lube it?

I would recommend lube that will not harm plastic if you are going to lubricate the parts. You can get it at most Hobby shops. I would open the access cover to the back of the refer and make sure everything in the back is clean and does not have anything tangled in the mechanisms.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
TG Twinkle
As I told you , my wife and I are very new to the Air Stream world and so many questions and before I ask any more I want you to know you have been most helpful with the info as well as photos.
One LAST QUESTION , when getting ready for travel and before filling the refrigerator, I must turn on the propane mode and if I desire at the final location , I could switch over to electric ???!. IS THAT CORRECT
Also if I may ask which , I have not done as of yet
There is also a hold lever and a spark button to ignite the flame when the unit is running in propane mod (when set all knobs were would I LIGHT THE BURNER ? .

I ALSO HAVE A LITTLE RUST AS WELL ON THE INNER AS WELL AS ON THE GASKET , WHAT KIND OF PAINT COULD I USE TO REPAINT AS WELL AS CLEAN THE RUBBER SEAL?
THANK YOU SO MUCH GEORGE
Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Switching over

When you get ready to travel, you should turn your refer on at least 24 hours before you plan to put food in it. If it is possible, put food in it that is already cold, that way it won't have to cool all of the stuff you put in it.
I'm going to assume that you found the 3 way selector switch to set the unit to the gas mode. If your trailer is like most AS's you must turn the gas valve on for the refer. It will be located under the belly pan near where the refer is located in your trailer. This is NOT the valve on the propane tank, it needs to be opened as well, it what is known as a petcock valve and there is usually one for every gas appliance in the trailer. Turn the handle of the petcock so that it is in line with the valve body. To turn the gas off, rotate the handle so it is perpendicular to the valve body.
I will also assume that you have identified the knob you have to pull out and hold while pushing the spark button.
The gas valve in the refer is like any gas valve, it has a built in safety system. It is called a thermocouple. The thermocouple sets above the pilot flame or in this case the burner. As long as there is a flame the thermocouple tells the valve it is OK to be open, to put it simply. If the flame is not present then the gas valve will close and shut of the gas.
If the refer has not been operated in the gas mode for a while and the gas has been turned off it will take some time to bleed all of the air out of the gas lines. It will speed up the process some if you lite the burners on the cook stove, but first you must open the petcock for the cook stove which is located under the belly pan near the stove location. The stove uses a lot more gas than the refer and therefore will purge the air from the main gas line much faster. You don't have to run the stove very long, just get it to where the burners will light and stay lit.
Now to get the refer to run on gas. Pull out and hold the previosly mentioned knob, it may take several minutes to purge the air from the line. What you are doing here is overriding the thermocouple safety device in order to get the burner lit. Once you get gas to the valve and if the ignitor is working. When you push the ignitor button it produces a spark near the burner that will ignite the flame. You should see a blue flame in the little window next to the ignitor button. You will have to continue to hold the override knob for 30 to 60 seconds, this gives the thermocouple time to heat up and tell the valve is OK to be open. If the burner lights but goes out when you release the button, give it another shot or two. If after several attempts it does not stay lit, you may have a bad thermocouple or it is not located properly. If the burner does not lite you may not be getting spark and there is another proceedure I use if that is the case. I won't talk about that now. Lets see what happens when you attempt to light it the first time. BE sure to set the thermostat (temperature) for the gas mode to at least 5 before attempting to lite the burner. Good Luck!
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Yes you can switch to Electric once you arrive at your destination if you have you trailer connected to power.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
T g twinkle
say you know so much info on the argosy of my year , are the windows like aircraft windows to clean in a aircraft the windows are made out of something other then glass and you can not use windex window cleaner , because it scratches the plastic windows .???
Thanks george
Old 06-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Windows

As Far as I know all of the windows in my Argosy are glass. But the guy to ask would be Andy at Inland RV.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Windex has nothing abrasive in it so you won't scratch anything using it. If you use Windex and paper towels and get scratches, they are from the paper towels. It's easy to scratch plastic with paper towels, especially the ones for drying you hands. To clean plastic windows, you should really use soft, clean, cloths.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Hi George, going back to the frig I did not see it mentioned. TIP: you must keep the trailer level in all directions when using the frig due to the ammonia can crystallize and cause a blockage in the line if it is not kept level. Going do the road is not an issue because you are moving and vibrating. But I have been told to keep it level even when going into a diner for a meal. This is a very basic explanation and I have been known to get lazy and not get it 100% level but it is always close.

As far as the windows if you have a little herculite logo in the corner, it is glass. Some people put in Plexiglas, which has no logo, if they break one and go the cheap route. If you see a logo wipe to your heart is content. I did scratch mine in a spot because of a polishing pad after stripping the paint off the Argosy and polished her.
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question - OLD refrigerator IN A 1975 ARGOSY , HOW DO YOU LIGHT THE REFRIGERATOR WHEN SWITCHED TO PROPANE /WERE???? DOES ANY ONE KNOW
THANK YOU
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We keep the trailer plugged into the house when we're not on the road. Our Dometic automatically switches over to 120V when we have shore power. I tend to keep a 12 pack of Newcastle Brown Ale in there for "Emergency Lawn Mowing Refreshment"...

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
There should be a push-button at the bottom of the fridge control panel that when you push it strikes flint and creates a spark to light when on gas. There is a viewing hole to see the blue flame when the gas actually lights. I do remember one time taking a propane "fire starter" and putting it near the ignition point to light it that way. That involved removing the outside panel and lighting from the backside, a procedure probably not recommended.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
There should be a push-button at the bottom of the fridge control panel that when you push it strikes flint and creates a spark to light when on gas. There is a viewing hole to see the blue flame when the gas actually lights. I do remember one time taking a propane "fire starter" and putting it near the ignition point to light it that way. That involved removing the outside panel and lighting from the backside, a procedure probably not recommended.
That ignitor didn't work on our old fridge, I had to manually light it from the back. It was a bit of a pain in the posterior when it was raining!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
California , Kentucky
test propane

Is it OK to test a Dometic fridge by attaching a grill regulator and line?I hope I am addressing the correct thread affect?RR