Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2003, 10:50 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Replace 110V Refrigerator Heat Element

I have a 1999 19' Bambi and I think the heating element on the refrigerator is not working. Anyone out there who has replaced one recently. I read the instructions that came with the refrigerator and it appears that the electric element is a replaceable item by the A/S owner.

What does an element cost? Any special instructions for replacemnt? Can I replace or do I need to take to a R/V repair facility?

Any way to check the element to make sure it is faulty? I am planning on checking the element for continuity prior to replacing.

I had some problem in adjusting the temp. on the refrigerator when I operated with LPG. The 4 setting was too warm but when I turned the dial to a higher number I got 32 in the entire cabinet.

Thanks for yoiur reply, I will value your advice.

Jim
Old 11-29-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Been there, done that.

The heater element on my refrigerator lives inside the channel above the propane burner assembly. Mine would not work, so I checked for power and ground at the terminals that disappear into the chute first, ( positive result) then I followed the wires and started disassmbling the insulated burner cover until I found the ends of the wire disappearing into a tubular bracket. One small tab held the heating element in place. Replacement took about 30 minutes, done by a clueless refrigeration newbie ( that would be me)
The heating element is packed tightly with insulation material, and I felt it necessary to re-installl all of it. I purchased the heating element from cool-fun, inc. near Los Angeles, for around $ 30.00. i do not remember the exact price, but it was not very expensive. I consider this a very easy job. Observe cable routing, and make sure the 120V is unplugged.
Your refrigerator will be very different from mine from the wiring and visual aspect, because it's not 35years old yet,and utilizes electronics, but functionally it will be very similar. Hopefully you have good access to the rear of the fridge, so you don't have to pull it out.
Some newer trailers had issues with the entry door blocking the refrigerator vent, and defective cooling fan thermostats resulting in inconsistent cooling performance. You should check to make sure your system works as specified, and that your cooling fan and thermostat are functioning properly. Maybe another Bambi owner can chime in here. A search in the forum will no doubt reveal other things to consider.