Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
renewing old refrigerators

So last night I was flipping through this industry rag that somehow gets sent to us (they must think we sell RVs), and I ran across an ad for an outfit that rebuilds and refurbishes cooling units for RV refrigerators. Here's the link:

http://www.rvrefrigerator.net/

Anybody know about this outfit? Will it be helpful for us?

Lynn
Old 08-14-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
lynn

been there done that http://www.airforums.com/forum...air-23857.html?

replacing a cooling unit is not that hard, and can save an otherwise operational unit for about one third to one half of the cost of a new unit.

the important thing for me was being able to save the oak door panels and not having to modify the opening for a different sized replacement unit.

my opinion is that if a person has a newer than 20 year old unit and is moderately handy with tools and can follow instruction it is not a bad deal.

john
Old 11-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Wellll, since ours decided to die on our most recent trip, I've contacted both rvicebox.com and rvrefrigerator.net to see if either of them will rebuild/replace the cooling unit on the MA52 on our 67; we'll see if they even respond. I sure hope so; I don't want a new looking fridge in our rig!

Lynn
Old 11-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Truly, truly, truly....

Have you looked at john hd's thread? I'm already relying on his advice when I need it in 10-12 years ....

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Yep, I've looked at John's thread. Alas, the 1967 fridge (manufactured in 66) doesn't much resemble the one that John rebuilt!

Lynn
Old 11-12-2006, 05:32 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
east stroudsburg , Pennsylvania
You probley will not find any rebuilders that will rebuild vintage units, many don't have the patterns to bend the new tubing anymore, which means it has to be done from scratch. However, I mainly do vintage rebuilds over the winter months.
RV_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Talk about timing - got my Fall/Winter edition of Airstream Life magazine yesterday and there's in article in there about rebuilding RV fridges - even photos showing how to remove the cooling unit.
HP9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_cool
You probley will not find any rebuilders that will rebuild vintage units, many don't have the patterns to bend the new tubing anymore, which means it has to be done from scratch. However, I mainly do vintage rebuilds over the winter months.
Ah! You're the person who did the rebuilt unit for John? Now we're talking!

I guess I should talk to you offline about doing ours, if you're able!

Lynn
Old 11-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Not sure exactly who your talking about, could be one of many. You can PM me if you want for contact info
Old 11-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
that would be me, i had nucold rebuild mine.

they are now rvicebox.

john
Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
They are one of my vendors, I usually purchase new evaporators from them. The last order I put in I spoke to jerry, he told me if it is not a late model, he don't have evaporators for much of the older units, plus he is not interested in messing with old cooling units. So when I get a vintage one somebody wants rebuilt, I have to bend the tubing custom to each refrigerator. Time consuming, thats why I only do vintage in the winter months.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
i cannot say anything but good about jerry.

prompt delivery, correct part, works perfect!

return of the core was easy due to prepaid ups, one phone call and it was picked up the next day.

first class.

john
Old 11-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Renewing Old Refrigerators

I noticed on the "Vintage Trailer Supply" that they have refridgerators. I was surprised at how reasonable they were. Check their website.

Lee Pace
72 Tradewind
Greenville, Tx
WBCCI 7287
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Gainesville , Florida
Hello all I'm new to the forum. The Dometic Refrigerator in my '79 Excella has completely quit. I followed the instructions in the owners manuel on how to get it out of it's hole in the wall and I can get it to move. Neither can my "handy male friends." Any suggestions on how to remove it? I am in Florida. Anyone know where I could get it repaired here? I checked into replacing it and I'm looking at $3000. Does dometic make a refrigerator that is not both gas and electric? Perhaps it would be less expensive? Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
FL Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:59 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
FL

welcome to the forum first off, you will need to search underneath, behind and possibly behind the faceplate for hidden fasteners.

the assemblers at the airstream factory may have added fasteners that do not show in your manual.

you will want to stay with the original design as it allows you more options for keeping food cold when you travel. as far as i know dometic only makes 2 or 3 way fridges.

if originality and function are not a concern you can always install a dorm sized fridge in it's place.

john
Old 12-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Gainesville , Florida
Ok, so now I found a site with replacement cooling units for my refer. Would it be possible to find someone to do that job for me if I got a replacement for my fridge?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Gainesville , Florida
My Dometic is about 2/3s the size of a small house hold fridge. It has a separate door for the freezer and refrigerator. A dorm sized frige would be too small. Any ideas?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:06 AM   #18
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Excella
Ok, so now I found a site with replacement cooling units for my refer. Would it be possible to find someone to do that job for me if I got a replacement for my fridge?
you can look here for step by step instructions on how i rebuilt mine http://www.airforums.com/forum...air-23857.html

i would think any good rv shop would be able to change it for you. especially if you provided the parts.

however, i would make sure the one you have is worth rebuilding before proceeding. is the inside in good shape? got all the shelves etc?

john
Old 12-24-2006, 08:05 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My parents 1982 SOB, just had it's fridge die a few years back. After having the cooling unit replaced, the unit has worked very well since. Some folks say these are band-aids, while others swear by it.

I don't know about this particular company, but I can say the the fridge they had fixed is still working without any issues. Cost as has been talked about was small compared to a total replacement.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:28 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Gainesville , Florida
79 Excella

Thanks John. I have printed out your instructions. My refrigerator as well as my entire Airstream is in excellent vintage condition. I am the third owner and the first owner was presdent of the FL Airstream club. The second owner was a great owner who took excellent care of it. Everything in the trailer is original and in perfect working condition except for the non-functioning frige.