Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2002, 08:03 PM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
removing Dometic Refrigerator

I have 71 Overlander with Dometic refrigerator.

My reefer does not work on AC any more..

Upon investigation I discovered a loose wire that feeds from the electrical box on the Refrigerator that goes to the heater element.

I have verified voltage, 120V, but as I said one of the wires has seperated from the element.

I cannot access the heater element to repair loose wire or replace the heater element if need be.

Does any one know how to remove the Dometic fridge? It is a dual coparrtment about 55 inches high and about 26 inches deep.

I have removed all of the screws that I can see from the inside of the trailer but it will not pull forward.

Does any one know if the unit is bolted to the floor? If it is bolted to the floor, does it require removing the underbelly to get to the bolts?

I think I can repair this fridge If I can just get it out of the trailer.

Thanks,
Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:12 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
If you open the door(s) on the fridge there are sometimes screws that go straigt into the floor in the corners. Top ones may be behind a trim panel, but the bottom ones should be visable with the door open.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 06:49 AM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
New AC only fridge

Okay,
I finally removed the old Dometic and priced repairs / replacement.

After much research I concluded that a 300 dollar AC only with 40 dollar inverter was the ticket. Our new refer is on sale at HD for 299 dollars. My wife loves it and it works ten times better than old Dometic. I had to do a little retrofit but was not to bad of an ordeal with my trusty Sawzall.

Take a look and see.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream interior 022.jpg
Views:	916
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	584  
Old 09-25-2002, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
New Fridge

The fridge looks awsome! (If it's o.k. to get excited about an appliance ). How do you power it when you don't have electrical hookup? Do you use the inverter while travelling? And lastly, is that a "Summit" fridge? Do you know the model #? I've been debating the whole AC only vs. AC/propane thing to replace my non-functioning fridge.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:57 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Inverter

I installed a second battery and inverter for the Refrigerator when needed, but we stay at full hookup sites only. At least to date.

Seeing that you have an Argosy with plenty of battery and probably a generator, I would not go with anything else.

I actually got the idea from my father in law who has a Motor home and he replaced his dual power reefer with the same one that you see in the photo.

I do not know the model number but it is sold at Home depot and it is called a "twist-air". I assume beacause it has a fan in the freezer.

It kicks butt!

Smily
Old 10-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1981 31' Excella II
Jonestown , Tx
new fridge

We are considering doing the same thing I know which fridge you have I've seen it at HD. Not being mechanically inclined can you tell me how you finally got the old one out of your unit? We have an 81 or so Dometic. it's enclosed in a case like frame. Did you have to do anything about the possibility of it tipping while on the road? (i'm the family worrier). Any info would be helpful, we've never used the lp as we havent boondocked. I'm afraid I've been spoiled by all the amenities at the parks. When I boondock I pitch a tent. If anyone can help please write. I'm not worried about depreciation as we'll never sell it.
Thank you in advance,
Kathy and Doug
ya-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
Kathy and Doug,

Replaced our Dometic a month ago with an Avanti. You can find it online. It has a SS front and looks great. Have lots of buds waiting for theirs to die so they can put one of these in. Frozen ice cream??? First time in 15 years of "Streaming"
FlaAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
The old Dometic will come out fairly easy. Screws on the inside are exposed when you open the doors. Two large anchor bolts can be reached thru the back door. Then just pull and push til it starts to slide out. Have someone on the other side (bedroom side) to assist in taking it out. My wife and I removed ours.

As far as selling........ours is a 92 34' and we can't afford to sell it now. We've made all kinds of improvements. Oak floors, couch out, Lazy Boys in with a electric fireplace between them, hand made computer desk when the fold out table was (boy does that work good) and several other improvements. We're f/ts so we can cost justify all the improvements. Travel between the mountains in NC and our place in Florida.

Two Buds in a Can
Old 10-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Goleta , California
Hi,
I am trying to remove mine from a 1966 Sovereign. I had to saw the bolts at the bottom, it didn't move. Removed 4 screws on the right side panel, didn't move. Removed 2 screws under the storage bin on the left side. Still doesn't move. I am out of ideas, so please let me know how you did yours.
Thanks,
Cris
Cristina1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
Push, pull

Hope by now you've got yours out. If not and if you feel you have all the attachments removed from inside and out you just need to push and pull. You might try some WD40 on the tracks at the bottom that can be reached thru the outside door. "You can do it"
Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
If I only knew how to post a photo I'd show you how our's looks. It's getting ready for it's first trip in about 10 days. That's the fridge I'm talking about. I've got it bolted down in the back with "L" brackets so I don't expect any problems. The road off this mountain is full of some tight turns so we'll be taking it easy.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Cris,

This is a different year than yours but it might be the same.

I've removed two of them, but they were both 70s era.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:24 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
Check my photos for the one we installed
Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Some of the fridges, like mine, are screwed into the cabinetry from sides and top. For my Tradewind have to remove the bulkhead by the coach entry door, the counter top and also screws through the pantry closet wall.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:01 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
Squaw Valley , California
On the Argosy, if you have the original refrige could you give me it's dimensions, our 76 22' Argosy's refrige is missing and I want to either look for an older vintage model or replace it if I have to.
kimelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Mustang , Oklahoma
For the Avanti frig person and whoever else that has installed an aftermarket AC only frig...what do you use to keep the doors closed when traveling?

I have just ordered an Avanti to replace an old Dometic that quit cooling...and am anticipating having items in the frig while on the road...not to be spilled out when in motion.

Any ideas or links would be helpful.
bambid
bambid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #17
x

XXXX , XXXX
Short Term Savings

To all the people that removed their RV fridge and replaced it with a household 110VAC fridge. This would be fine if your unit was parked permanently. Household fridges are not designed to be driven down the road. Subjecting these cheap fridges to constant and extensive bumps rattles and vibrations will IMHO cause the units to fail prematurely.The compressors and cooling lines will not stand up to this kind of abuse for long. You will also need to rewire in order to have 110VAC while traveling. The reslale value of your A/S will be lowered because of this cheap fix as well. If you add these costs to the fact that you will be replacing the fridge a lot sooner than an RV fridge I can't see the benefits of doing this. It would be far better to replace the fridge with the correct one now. No I am not selling fridges this is just my opinion based on several years experience as an RV Technician and A/S owner.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote