Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
Remove & Burp Fridge

Houston, we have a problem!

Our Dometic RM2351 is having a problem. The fridge is just a few years old; it's original to our new-to-us 2007 16' Bambi. The freezer gets cold (15 degrees!) but the fridge only gets to 52 degrees on both electric and propane. It's been suggested to me that there might be blockage, and that it MAY be fixed by burping it! Who knew?! Apparently, this involves turning the fridge upside down for 24 hours, or turning it on each side for 1/2 hour. I'm going to try it before I give in and pay for a repair or a new fridge.

BUT, how the heck do I get the fridge out?? Is it just a few screws, or is it more involved than that?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice! It's so great being able to go to the forums for help. I've fixed so many things already just by researching here.
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Burping the refrigerator

I have read that you can also burp the refrigerator another way. You might try this idea first. While your trailer is hooked up to your tow vehicle, drive as though you are testing out your breaks.The short jerky stops and starts are supposed to burp the refrigerator.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
R2DTube

Check out the DIY article I wrote on Reefer Madness.

Reefer Madness

ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 16' Bambi
West Hollywood , California
Thanks for the tips! I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed for an easy fix!
R2DTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
You've got a pretty new unit, I thought the burping was more of a solution on the older units. Tried burping mine on the old 72 but it didn't help. But you got the concept, turn it upside down for a day, pray and then turn her back to normal. I took mine out with a screwdriver - bottom, side phillips screws. Harder thing was taking off the side wood panel.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Check your Ventilation!

It's a lot simpler - and very fast. Take off the vent covers and look for leaf debris... especially on the roof vent if your unit has one. If you've got poor circulation it could cause the box fail to cool.

I notice yours is a 16' which probably means you have only one door - any chance you have ice buildup behind the freezer compartment, or a leaking door seal? Burping isn't a bad idea, just thinking - do the simple dumb stuff first!

Good luck, Paula

Tags
bambi refrigerator