Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Sherwood , Oregon
Refrigerator works on gas only

Hi - I'm trying to troubleshoot but not sure which elements are common to both electric and gas. I suspect the thermostat or the lead to the heater. All connections seem to intact.
Any help appreciated.

Terry
tdveal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If it is a two way fridge then there will only be one electrical heating element. If it is a three way then there will be a 12 VDC and a 110 VAC. To check the AC element see if you have 110 VAC power to the wires that go to the element. If you do then chances are the element is bad and will need replaced. That would be the most common problem.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Sherwood , Oregon
Thanks. Could it be the element if it works on gas?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Sherwood , Oregon
I do have voltage at the connector to the element
Old 11-30-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Check the thermostat before you replace the heating element. Mine has two thermostats: one for gas and one for electric operation. If the electric thermostat is out or the element is shot the gas side will still work. If neither one works it's a clog or blockage in the refer cooling system, or all the ammonia leaked out.
Try a google search for your model and look for troubleshooting info in the hits. There are sites out there that can help with this.
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Ours doesn't startup on electric, but if you select gas, let it cool for an hour, then switch to electric, it works. I installed an indoor outdoor thermometer near the top of the refrigerator system, when it is running normal it shows 35 degrees close to the plates. IR thermometer shows 40 degrees when I shoot the opposite wall.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Fort McCoy , Florida
Take off your rear plastic box that hides the electrical connections. Remove, clean and replace each of them and make sure the ends are in good shape before reconnecting to the holding screws. Of course all power needs to be cut-Your Fridge's controls should only operate on 12 volt. The compressor also has a starter capacitor that may be the issue. If it will work on gas, it will work on ac-something minor IMHO
Good Luck!
Mrwaterway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
When we got ours, it too worked on propane only...we asked around and a fellow said there is an element inside the metal chimney that can be seen from the outside and it probably needed replacing...but I will tell you now, we are fine with just using propane. Sometimes the thing works too good. But good luck man finding all that out, those amonia refrigeraters are precious!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Fridge

If you have voltage on the element and the element isn't hot, then it would seem to be a bad element. Don't know what the actual voltage is supposed to be there, someone could measure that and you could compare. I take it this is the original Dometic fridge?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote