Old 07-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Refrigerator while traveling

On previous trips the fridge auto light indicated the fridge has changed over to propane. Now, on this trip, this is not occurring. Once I am at the campsite and hook up to shore power the light is on. So far, the fridge has maintained its coolness. I have traveled from Texas to Wyoming and now heading back to Texas. Any ideas what is going on?

dlenloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Were propane valves open?

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
What year and model Airstream and fridge do you have? Are you saying that the fridge did, or did not, cool properly during the last on-the-road trip?

Peter

PS -- You can add your AS ID info under your name via the User CP tab at the top left in the blue menu bar.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
1. Before we travel and run the refrigerator I always turn it on LP the night before and make sure it is running. In a half hour you should be able to detect a problem. I also turn it on LP right away the morning before we are going to leave. Sometimes I just leave it on all night on LP. Works better on LP, and it doesn’t take much from the tanks.
2. When you stop and it isn’t running you may need to turn it off and then on. This clears air from the lines. You may need to do this a few times.
3. Make sure both tanks are on. Not that it can’t run on one tank, but sometimes it has something to do with the pressure in the tank.
4. When you start it listen for the spark and then make sure you can hear it ignite and run. You should be able to hear the flame going outside by the vent.
If the refrigerator is cold and you switch it to LP it won’t ignite right away. That’s why I test it the night before.

I always make sure that is working before we leave. I don’t want surprises on the road.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Perhaps a placebo, but I always turn the fridge off, then to gas.
In my last RV I could hear a "whoosh!", but this one makes no noise.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
One rank us open because second one just ran out on this trip. It was showing the switch on the trip up to Wyoming but not on the way home. Perhaps it is the lack of pressure from both tanks. I will be filling both tanks tonight so maybe I will see the fridge work again on LP. I have a 2016 FC 23 ft.

Thank you Peter for the note on the AS ID. Sometimes I need all the help I can get.
dlenloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Assuming this is a propane fridge and backing up a bit .....

Do other propane devices on the trailer work? Do you cook with propane? The same supply setup runs the stove and the fridge.

One as yet unmentioned issue is the burner in the fridge (or the vent) may be gunked up. Cleaning one or both is probably a good idea. Next thing to check would be the igniter to make sure it is supplying a good spark.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Most of the time my fridge auto cycles to propane. Sometimes it does not and I have to cycle it manually. Have not figured out why. The gas system only sees one tank at a time if it is working properly.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Not sure why anyone would want to use the propane that you have to pay for if full hookups and electricity is available.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #10
Stay Calm and Stream On

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Palm Springs , California
If the battery isswitched to store, the LP will not turn on when disconnected to shore power. Make sure the switch is on Use.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Not sure why anyone would want to use the propane that you have to pay for if full hookups and electricity is available.

Mike
Ours seems to cool down better on propane. Otherwise I would agree with you.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPJ View Post
If the battery isswitched to store, the LP will not turn on when disconnected to shore power. Make sure the switch is on Use.
Hi

At least on our trailer, switching to "store" turns off the fridge entirely. Don't ask how I know this ....

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote