Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Wausau , Wisconsin
refrigerator when moving

Since it is illegal in many states to travel with the propane on we traveled and turned the fridge off and kept it closed. It was cooled to MX and read 32on the display! After 5 hours when we turned it back on the monitor read 46 TOO Warm!
So we got Ice packs and the moved a couple to the lower compartment and this has helped alot are their other solutions?
Chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisy View Post
Since it is illegal in many states to travel with the propane on we traveled and turned the fridge off and kept it closed. It was cooled to MX and read 32on the display! After 5 hours when we turned it back on the monitor read 46 TOO Warm!
So we got Ice packs and the moved a couple to the lower compartment and this has helped alot are their other solutions?
In which US states is it illegal to travel with the propane on?

I think you'll find that certain tunnels and ferries in the US require the propane to be off and other than that you're free to choose between running your refrigerator off propane while driving or treating it like an mediocre ice chest ('cause it ain't no Yeti.)

The thing that worries me is the length of time it takes to bring the temperature back down after it heats up... the ammonia absorption cycle is SLOW compared to a compressor-driven fridge. We run the fridge when towing unless it's prohibited to do so.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Leave your propane on so your food will stay cold, and don’t worry about it.

Never had a problem, never been stopped and asked if my propane was on.

Maggie
Old 10-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Ours stays on while traveling, never any problem since 1971, where is the law that says this is illegal?propane powered vehicles always run with the propane turned on..same as natural gas powered vehicles.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I'm not aware of any state where it's illegal to travel with your propane turned on. There are some tunnels and ferries where it's illegal to have the propane turned on, but not whole states.

If you know of states where it's illegal, please list them so that the information can be independently verified.

On edit— DKB_SATX beat me to it. Great minds, and all that.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We travel with propane tanks on. Never a problem. We faithfully turn the fridge off before pulling into a gas station however.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Like 90% of rv travelers we run with the propane on to keep the fridge cool. This is a perennial topic here and on most other rv forums. I believe it is lawful and safe to run with the fridge on. RV trailer fires are nearly all electrical in origin with propane rarely being a primary or contributing cause. (For motorhomes, chassis problems are a major contributor to fires while under way, with propane still being a rare to nonexistent cause)

If you're going to run without propane, you can help matters somewhat by being sure the fridge is completely cool when you depart. You can add a couple of gallon jugs of water the night before to increase the thermal mass, or use ice. In general a full fridge stays cool longer. The fridge in my Cayo tends to blow out while under way so I am stuck having to use these techniques and I check it and re-light it if needed at every stop.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
refrigerator when moving

I always travel with propane on and fridge running. Never had an issue. Fridge and freezer contents stay cold / frozen.

I often keep hot water heater on as well.....
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As mentioned above, the rules on propane are a bit confusing. People see signs on the road that prohibit bulk propane trucks. The sign sails by fast and they make an assumption. They repeat this assumption to others. While you are at home and not trying to deal with traffic, dig into it a bit.

There are some tunnels that outright ban propane. Route around them. There are some places that require propane be shut off. Pull over and do so. By all means know and obey the law / follow the rules. As noted above tunnels, and ferries are things to wonder about.

Around here, Baltimore is a "no go" tunnel. PA Turnpike is ok. Chesapeake Bay Tunnel is ok with the LP tanks on a normal AS. So yes, it varies a bit even in a fairly small area.

Since rules do change from time to time, double check them. That's even more true of any rule you might have heard second hand from some guy named Bob

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
halfloaf

2018 16' Sport
Cary , NC
I was going to be one of those super-safe people who ran with their propane off. Well, it lasted one day, especially since my first day was 100 degree day. It's a PITA to find a spot to turn it off before entering a gas station and somewhere else to turn it back on after leaving a gas station, but it's better than food poisoning.
halfloaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Indeed the safety question is a bit different than the legal side of things. There are many long threads here already debating just how safe you are in various situations with the fridge turned on and set to LP.

Bob
Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I don't think it is illegal other than at certain tunnels where it is posted that you are to shut it off.

We have run wth propane on the fridge for about 40 years without an issue.

On the other hand we have some friends whose trailer (not an AS) burned to the ground on a trip - they "think" it must have been caused by the fridge.

So you are certainly safest to shut it off, but I think that the vast majority of RV'ers do not.

Up to you!

PS - we have never shut it off while fuelling either. We do use less volatile diesel fuel, but then I suppose other folk could be nearby filling their vehicles with gas near us!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #13
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There are good reasons to shut off LP when the trailer is in storage. Pulling the batteries also can be a safety plus. Not leaving a trailer hooked to shore power when in storage ... same thing. Same sort of rules apply when leaving your house for a while.

There are a lot of people who violate some or all of those rules on a regular basis (I DO !!). The vast majority of them get away with it .... Every so often a trailer or house blows up or burns down.

It's also worth noting - if you ever have seen a house that has been without heat and AC for an entire year, that has a negative impact in most climates.....

Bob
Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I travel with the propane off. A day or two before each trip, I plug in the Airstream and get the fridge cooled down. I pack it with the food the day before so that everything is acclimated. Then, the day of departure I put the frozen blue ice pack things in, shut the door and go. I have traveled for 6-7 hours in summer heat and the food is still cold when I arrive. I don't subscribe to traveling with the gas on for the fridge. Safety first.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:04 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Ellicott City , Maryland
For those that travel the east coast, Virginia Beach and Norfolk area tunnels the VDOT has a checkpoint for RVs to make sure the propane is turned off before entering. They told me it is perfectly legal to drive with propane on and even told me where to pull off after exiting tunnel to turn the propane back on.
ExStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Depending on the trip duration/time of year/destination I've both kept the propane on and turned it off and used the fridge as a cooler.
Yeti sells "Yeti Ice" which are a version of the blue refreezable plastic blocks. These things are pretty fantastic at staying cold. We have 3 that are in the freezer till we depart then move 2 into the fridge during travel. Things stay surprisingly cold in there for a several hour trip.
We also use a Yeti for on the go food and drink so the fridge stays closed.
Disclosure: I've done contract photography for Yeti for years and fortunately received all my Yeti gear as bonuses. However, if something happened to any of the products I have, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a replacement. Just darn good stuff.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
All I have to do is open the fridge door in warm weather once and my external thermometer shows the temperature rise inside the box. I always tow with propane on and fridge set to 5 in warm weather.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Chrisy
You asked "are there other solutions?" Yes, use your fridge the way it was designed, leave it running. There are not "many" states that outlaw the use of propane and as a matter of fact, I don't believe that there is a single state that outlaws it. There are places as others have noted and those are easy to deal with. I have used ferries in Washington and it is pretty simple. You simply turn the gas off before you drive on and then after you drive off you go down the road and find a spot to pull over and turn it back on.

You certainly don't have to run the fridge. Many who don't usually pack ice into this space to keep things cool. One poster said he uses a plastic gallon jug filled with ice. I am simply not willing to use that much space and don't want to deal with all the frozen packets stacked inside when I really don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman View Post
I travel with the propane off. A day or two before each trip, I plug in the Airstream and get the fridge cooled down. I pack it with the food the day before so that everything is acclimated. Then, the day of departure I put the frozen blue ice pack things in, shut the door and go. I have traveled for 6-7 hours in summer heat and the food is still cold when I arrive. I don't subscribe to traveling with the gas on for the fridge. Safety first.
Again, do what you would like. You really should be comfortable as you travel down the road. I continue to take issue with posts like the one above. I read "Safety first" as a binary choice. Either you turn off the gas and be safe or leave it on and not be safe. I wish they would just say, I feel more comfortable turning it off. Trust me I am very concerned about my safety but I still run with the propane on. I continue to offer up a plea for anyone out there to provide actual evidence of a trailer with its propane on causing a fire, either while on the road or at a gas station. I really am SURE that there has to be a case out there where this actually happened. Cases like a wheel coming off a trailer or a hitch falling off a TV while traveling or even a bird strike taking out a windshield. I will bet that these things do happen but not all that often. They end with "why take a chance?" If you follow that logic then you probably should stay home. Simply driving down the road is chance enough for me.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Run with propane. Food poisoning more danger than exploding travel trailer.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:12 AM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Please list the states it is illegal to travel with your lp tanks on.