Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Refrigerator venting

Hello all, I'm at the stage of floor removal on my 72 Tradewind full monty (shell on).
In the attached picture you can see,near the c-channel, the thin cut out w/ metal mesh that allows air to the back of the fridge.(some of the flooring removed)
You can also see the mesh below the frame. Also notice, my access door is not louvered. My question is, are they still doing this on the newer airstreams? It seems to me that this just invites ants and other small insects to work their way into the trailer, being that most trailers sit more than they are moving.

Is there a better solution? A vent that can be closed when not in use?

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ref-vent2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	172367  

ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The newer ones do not use this venting system. However, I have not had any issues with any of the many AS products that I have owned with the floor vent. I consider it to be a superior way to keep the refrigerator warm side cool as there is a better draft formed and the air under the rig is probably cooler than if it was taken through the side, as through a vented access door.

Just my opinion, of course.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
X2 what idroba said. Also there have been threads here about a baffle deflecting the air away from the outside wall and more under the fridge coils where it does more good.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I haven't had any issues with this type of venting on any of the vintage rigs I've owned.
I don't think the screens in the floor let in any critters. I have had wasps built a nest in the roof vent, and end up inside. A piece of regular aluminum window screen on the vent stack stopped that problem. Some would say this will decrease the airflow but I haven't had any cooling problems since installing it. I would hesitate to put a smaller mesh screen on the bottom as it may collect a coating of road mung which would definitely affect the draft.
If you're really ambitious you could fashion a sliding metal cover of some type for storage. I'd do something cheap like self-stick velcro and a old piece of plastic.

AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Sorry for the delayed response.
Thank you all for the input. I'm definitely leaning towards some kind of easily removable cover for when the trailer is sitting and not in use.
Keep you posted.

thanks again
ehodg66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
I have the same venting system. However, I am going to add a vent to the side door, and a fan to help the refrigerator in our summer heat.

Air# 29488
rogerdodger is offline   Reply With Quote