Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Refrigerator Vent Cover - long or shortened?

The refrigerator vent cover was missing on our '66 Safari 22' when we bought the trailer. We purchased a new vent cover from Andy, and it is the "long" one, since that's all they make these days. The instructions were to cut it and overlap the two pieces to shorten it if our trailer originally had the shorter cover.

The trailer did have the shorter version. The new cover is a beautiful piece of aluminum work, and I hate to cut it. Would it work if we sealed the original mounting rivet holes and drilled new holes an inch or so fore and aft to mount the longer cover?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
The refrigerator vent cover was missing on our '66 Safari 22' when we bought the trailer. We purchased a new vent cover from Andy, and it is the "long" one, since that's all they make these days. The instructions were to cut it and overlap the two pieces to shorten it if our trailer originally had the shorter cover.

The trailer did have the shorter version. The new cover is a beautiful piece of aluminum work, and I hate to cut it. Would it work if we sealed the original mounting rivet holes and drilled new holes an inch or so fore and aft to mount the longer cover?
The longer cover will work just fine.

The instructions of how to shorten it are for those that want to be "exactly" original.

Plug the old holes with Olympic rivets and Vulkem sealer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Thanks, Andy. Appreciate the help.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post

Just put a long cover on our Minuet, looks just fine. Fill the old holes like Andy said. No problem
Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Fortune has favored me since I originally posted this thread. I stopped to look at an old, neglected Airstream on a trailer lot. The trailer was really a fixer-upper, but lying on a couch inside it was an unused short aluminum fridge vent cover. One quick negotiation later, the cover is mine. Waiting for weather to be good enough to install it.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I like the look of the longer ones...maybe you could hold both of them up there and see which one you like best.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
That's a good idea. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
How long are each of them?
That is: what is the difference exactly?

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Measured from the tip of the flange at the longest point, the short one is 23 1/4 inches and the long one is 28 1/4 inches. The short one is actually a little shorter than what must have been there originally, judging by where the holes are. I've had to fill one set of holes anyway. Still thinking about which cover to install.