Old 08-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Refrigerator stopped cooling

Our fridge worked fine on a trip a couple of weeks ago. I took it out of storage and when I got it home to load it up for another trip, the fridge would not cool at all. It's not that it cools slowly or cools only a little; it's not cooling whatsoever.

The trailer is level. It won't cool on electric or gas. The lights come on both inside the fridge and outside (the button lights), so it's evidently not a fuse or breaker. I can't smell any ammonia, and I don't see anything leaking in the outside access, so I don't believe it has a coolant leak.

On the way to our home from storage, I went over a bumpy road, so I'm wondering if it's simply a loose connection, like some wiring that became unattached. However when I look in the outside access, I don't see any wires that aren't connected.

Has anyone experienced something similar that could shed light on this? Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I would check the thermostat first, is it getting power? Unplug/replug/wiggle all connections (with the power off to the trailer and batteries disconnected) after, make absolutely certain you are getting both Ac and dc power to the unit. At all connections.

Start there.

Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I see you are in Texas.
On a hot day, with the sun beating on the refer side of your Airstream it may take a long time to get cold.
Go to the exterior access door and check to see if the heating element shroud is hot. It should be too hot to touch whether you are running electric or gas.
If it is too hot to touch, and if the inside walls of the freezer compartment are still ambient temperature this could indicate a loss of ammonia which is sometimes accompanied by a layer of yellow dust in the exterior access compartment.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by russingr View Post
Our fridge worked fine on a trip a couple of weeks ago. I took it out of storage and when I got it home to load it up for another trip, the fridge would not cool at all. It's not that it cools slowly or cools only a little; it's not cooling whatsoever.

Has anyone experienced something similar that could shed light on this? Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Check the sliding thermostat on the cooling coil. Make certain it is positioned for max cooling.
So 'em
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
I would check the thermostat first, is it getting power? Unplug/replug/wiggle all connections (with the power off to the trailer and batteries disconnected) after, make absolutely certain you are getting both Ac and dc power to the unit. At all connections.

Start there.
Unplugging fridge all wires, and plugging back in, worked. Thanks!
russingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:49 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 Nest
2018 Atlas
New Bern , North Carolina
Quote:

The trailer is level. It won't cool on electric or gas. The lights come on both inside the fridge and outside (the button lights), so it's evidently not a fuse or breaker. I can't smell any ammonia, and I don't see anything leaking in the outside access, so I don't believe it has a coolant leak.

On the way to our home from storage, I went over a bumpy road, so I'm wondering if it's simply a loose connection, like some wiring that became unattached. However when I look in the outside access, I don't see any wires that aren't connected.

Be sure the fridge is plugged in and getting power. The light should come on when you open the door.

1-Check the thermostat to make sure it hasnít been turned way down by mistake. If your fridge/freezer thermostat isn't working, get these easy to install thermostats on Amazon.
Be sure the vents on the back of the freezer compartment arenít blocked by boxes of ice cream or frozen vegetablesóthe vents have to be clear for cold air to circulate.

2-Vacuum the coils under or behind the fridge. Clogged coils can cause poor cooling.

3-Check to make sure nothing is stuck in the condenser fan and that it spins freely (models with coils on the back wonít have a fan). To do this, unplug the fridge and pull it out. Clean the fan blades and spin the fan by hand to see if itís stuck. Plug in the fridge and make sure the fan runs when the compressor is running. If the fan doesnít run, see the directions below, which show how to replace it.
Allen Arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Unplugging fridge all wires, and plugging back in, worked. Thanks!

Happy ending!
All threads should be like this.

Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote