Old 02-21-2003, 12:33 PM   #1
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Refrigerator replacement photos

Here is the original Dometic. We prefer the electric only, compressor type reefers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	referbefore.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1556  

Old 02-21-2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
The panel removed

You have to remove the credenza to extract the panel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	referpaneloff.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1557  

Old 02-21-2003, 12:39 PM   #3
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
yank that joker outta there

You have to pull back the carpet and the pad. You will need all of the clearance you can get.

Dont forget that gas line.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	refergone.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1559  
Old 02-21-2003, 12:42 PM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Ta Dah!

Now thats a fridge!

I replaced the panel with 5/8 cabinet grade plywood.

The old panel was flimsy. I intend to mount a TV bracket on the panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newreferin.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1560  
Old 02-21-2003, 01:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Nice clean install.
Was the old unit working? Was it 2 or 3 way?
Wanna sell it?
Give me some measuements, I think it will work in my 59 Carravanner if it's not to wide.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #6
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Ol Dometic

The reason I replaced this unit and the unit on my last AS was because the old Dometics just dont seem to get very cold. It seems that they work good in the freezer compartment but not in the lower compartment.

I never tested the unit on gas but it was working on electricity. The door gasket does not seal well.

I believe the unit was about 54 inches high and 24 wide.

I have two units for sale.

Smily
Old 02-21-2003, 01:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Mine has a 110v in it and my worry is the type of camping I plan to do I will spend a lot of time on the road. between locations. It would be a little bit of a hassle to have to drag a couple coolers to put the food in between stops. I also plan to do some camping were I will not have 110 available for 4 days at a shot (annual trip I make). So that's my interest in having a 2 way.
You in any hurry to get them out of the way? Let me think about it because I see you point why your not happy with them. I have lived with coolers for a long time and maybe I should keep doing it that way if I don't have 110V. I could proably just get a monster power inverter that will handle the fridge for the trips where I will have full hook up. Just run an umbillical from the tow vehicle to keep it fed. Cooler it for the four day not 110 trip. Fact of the matter is I may have a 2500 watter with light use on a service vehicle we are about to decommission.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
inverter

The new reefer uses very little power.

a little 300 watt inverter is plenty.

You do not necessarily have to run umbillical to tow vehicle. you should already have twelve volts to the battery/univolt via the harness that hooks your tow vehicle to your AS.

You have twelve volts being "charged" to the trailer battery while in tow. I plug into TV 12volt outlet and run inverter/ reefer from there.

I am no hurry to get rid of the units but the wife is.

My wife hated the Dometics and she loves the new electric only.
I installed two door unit in my Overlander. I had to use single door on the Sovereign due to cabinet height.

Smily

Old 02-21-2003, 02:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Yeah your right about the 12v feed. I still need a tow vehicle so really haven't done much more that read on the hook ups.
My 59 has an actual plug on the front with a little plaque that says it's for 12v Charging off the tow vehicle. It had it's own umbilical. Somewhere along the lines it got the updated harness and there is a plug into that with a piece of Flex conduit running over to the hitch to make the connection to the updated umbillical. Yeah it's real hokey! When I redo the trailer this spring that mess will go and I'll route the 12v feed in with the rest of the harness.
It's comical, I'll have to get a picture.

So you have one of those wifes that don't appreciate interesting conversation items hanging around taking up space too? LOL.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
RE: RV Refrigerator or Compressor Type

Greetings 59Toaster!

While I can understand Smily's preference for a compressor style refrigerator if one is not interested in Caravanning or Rallying; it is not a wise decision to choose a compressor type refrigerator over the RV type refrigerator if your plans include either Rallying or Caravanning, at least in the typical Vintage Airstream Club format for such events.

My '64 Overlander had a compressor type refrigerator when I purchased it and it was number one on my MUST GO list as it was nothing but a headache at Rallys and on Caravans. One of the reasons that I purchased an Airsream was to get away from the ice machine hassles and traveling with ice chests; and the compressor style refrigerator did not accommodate this type of travel. If you attend a WBCCI International Rally, the electric supply will not be sufficient to operate a compressor type refrigerator (your neighbors will not be very happy when the compressor type refrigerator in your coach causes the circuit breaker to trip - I forgot to switch off my compressor type refrigerator on my last trip before its demise and it promptly blew the circuit for my row at the International Rally); and on a Caravan it will not be a pleasant task to deal with the compressor type refrigerator after the third day of no connections.

I have both a vintage Dometic (1978 model) and a nearly new (2001 model) Dometic 3-Way refrigerator. Both operate without flaw and keep both the refrigerator cold and the freezer solidly frozen. The one thing that I have learned with both units is that a good gasket is an absolute necessity and this gasket is thoroughly cleaned and then wiped down with denatured alcohol at the beginning of each season. The second thing that I have learned with the '78 model is that a regular servicing by a qualified RV service technician really helps - - cleaning and adjusting the burner, cleaning the flue, checking the thermostats, and the electric element - - at the last check it was discovered that the elctric element was not functioning correctly so it was replaced. On both units, the refrigerator consistently runs in the range of 35 to 40 degrees F; and the freezer runs between -2 degrees and 30 degrees F.

If you are only traveling very short distances, and will always have full connections with no plans for Rallying or Caravanning, the compressor type refrigerator may be satisfactory. If you are planning extended trips with many long driving days, or you are planning to caravan or rally my experience has been that the compressor type refrigerator is not a very workable alternative. When I had the solar system installed in my Overlander, I was advised against using the inverter to power a refrigerator as it would deplete the batteries much faster than the panel could replenish their charge.

Good luck in your quest for the best refrigeration alternative!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 03:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
overlander64:
Yeah that's some of my worries. I know I would run a full day then park for a day or two. If I headed west it would be an over night stay and then out again to our destination. So I would either have to power the 110v unit the full time or forget about use till I'm parked for more than a day. That's why I worry that the 110v only unit is not going to serve my needs very well.

So Smily:
What would you be looking to get out of one of these? How new is the newest one?
I figure the newer it is the more likly I will be able to find repair parts.

One of the issues my 59 has is the wheel tub encroaches on the floor space at the base of the reefer cabinet. I read that some folks have had some issues with getting newer units into old locations. The 110v unit in the 59 is a small one and on a shelf about 12 inch off the floor because of this. Let me take some measurments this weekend and see what's the max I can fit.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Hahahaha My wife and I were just discussing what we think happend to the original fridge. We think her dad shot it. LOL
When we got the trailer home we found what was obviously a bullit hole through the room divider door thing between the sleeping area and the front. We looked and looked for more bullit holes trying to figure out where it went and didn't find any. Original wood work and wardrobe doors still there. No holes through any of the cabinetry or the exterior skin and I figured it went through the front window since I couldn't find any exit holes anywhere else.
My wife just remembered we noticed the knobs on the wardrobe door have been replaced. Well her dad hunted a lot and we figured he accidently dischaged a gun when he was on one of his hunting trips (bet his ears rang for a month). Well we think the bullit when through the door, hit the knob and then got the door on the reefer LOL. I'll have to check it out more tomorrow and take a picture.
I'll take measurments to see if your reefer will fit in the morning.
Are both of the reefers you have the same size?
Old 02-21-2003, 09:07 PM   #13
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ye haw! lets hunt us a fridge!

toast,

are you sure he didn't shoot it on purpose!

maybe i quit working before it was ventilated!

things at my buddys farm have met a similar demise, one lime green dodge van comes to mind...

john
Old 02-22-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Kewl

Smily..

Man, you do good work..~!!

Now, let's see, how far is it from Va Beach, to Moncks Corner, SC??

I'd prefer the two door combination model with stainless steel front and, let's not forget the 'ice maker'....
ciao

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote