Old 10-16-2004, 06:13 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member
Driving with the Propan on

I know airstreamers who regularly travel with the propane on. It is not recommended. If you can run on 12 volts like my 68 and 83 then you can run the fridg while traveling. I once saw a trailer that had burned completely sitting at the edge of the road. That is not something that you want.

Lyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 01:28 PM   #30
2005 22' International CCD
Featherston , Wellington
Send a message via Skype™ to Pakeha
re: Ice Cream

Many thanks to all the good postings. I must admit to keeping my frig running as I drive but after this trip I will only run it at stops. The trouble is I drive some 3/400 per day and don't stop except for night. I towed my trailer from Venice Beach to Denver, via Bryce, Escalante, Capitol Reef and over the Rockies via Vail, tough climb but my Land Rover did good. Then back via San Juan National forest and Monument Valley, what a trip, shot some 20 hours of footage (where is the camera off button?) and just love this country I am about to become a citizen of, pity about the politics though, how come 'we' are trying to export democracy when we can't practice it, either Party! 'nuff said.

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 02:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I don't quite understand how some folks seem to have refrigerators with several times the insulation that mine has. My thermometer tells me that the inside temperature after an hour or two in moderate hot weather with the refrigerator shut down is out of the safe range for keeping food. Especially with the sun on the refrigerator side of the trailer. Having had food poinoning once, I'll keep mine running while on the road, thanks.

The burned trailer by the roadside may have had nothing to do with the refrigerator. Some dilligent research from a forum member some time back found no police reports of fires from running with it on Personally, I feel safer towing a trailer with the refrigerator running on propane than sleeping in that same trailer with it running on propane (assuming due dillegence at fuel stops). Actually, I do both because the risk, in either case, is miniscule.

The advice to run the refrigerator at meal and other stops is pretty useless unless the stops are measured in hours. In a typical meal or tourist stop, the cooling process will never have time to get started, let alone cool the box appreciably. Feel the piping after a short time on the road, it will be at or close to ambient and we all know how long it takes to start up the refrigerators.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 03:10 PM   #32
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

All I can say is ditto. I run with mine on gas all the time, the wife has suffered from food poisoning, and that can ruin a trip for sure.
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 04:54 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Send a message via MSN to gklott Send a message via Yahoo to gklott
Frig on AC power when towing?

Make sure you turn off the propane frig when you approach a fuel station. We always stop short of the pumps, turn it off, get fuel, and drive to another spot in the parking area before re-starting. Too many stories on gas fumes and ignition from propane devices.

Has anyone used an AC inverter (ProSine 400 or such) to use AC power while towing? Your trailer would be charging from the truck.

Gus - KR4K : Mary - K5MCL
2004 30ft. Classic dinette
2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab/Shortbed diesel
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 AM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by Pahaska
I don't quite understand how some folks seem to have refrigerators with several times the insulation that mine has. My thermometer tells me that the inside temperature after an hour or two in moderate hot weather
John I'm going to concur with you also. I've tried running without the gas on and in hot weather my fridge will not hold safe storage temperatures for much longer than 2-3 hours. Much too short of time when you are driving 6-8 hours. Maybe it is something to do with the older refrigerators and better insulation.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #35
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eugene , Oregon
We are having the same blow-out problem with the 2-way Dometic fridge in our '07 Safari - works great parked with either 120v or LP but won't hold temp while travelling. Two dealers and one mobile repair service (during latest trip) have checked its function and find nothing wrong. Local AS dealer had not heard of the problem but suggested blocking off the leading half of the louvered door to prevent gusts from passing trucks/high winds. The furnace filter approach mentioned herein is very similar and sounds even better. I plan to test both. Mobile repair tech also suggested stuffing fiberglass batt insulation around perimeter of fridge compartment to prevent pressure differential between inside and outside the coach during gusts (I.e. due to ineffective seal at cabinetry interface) and to better insulate the box from extreme ambient heat (117 deg in Vegas at the time).

I will let you know what works best.

Just another project......but worth the trouble.
architina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #36
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Member "Buttercup" had the same problem of blowing out on the highway, and he solved it fairly simply.

Read his long post starting at the link below, and go past it a ways to get clarification:

Post #205 is the one I am trying to point out.

Joshua, it helps if you would fill in the year and model of your trailer in the profile. Otherwise, other posters have to hunt around for that info, guess, or ask you.

If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote