Old 01-14-2004, 10:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
It is blowing out

In the past, with a street-side refrigerator in two of my previous SOB trailers, I had the same problem of the refrigerator blowing out and fixed it with a small baffle that I conjured up out of some scrap aluminum. In one case, gusty Texas winds were all that was needed to blow out the flame, in the other it was passing trucks that caused the blowout.

My current Classic has the street-side refrigerator, but it is installed so deep into the trailer that I haven't had any problems with blowout even though there is no baffle installed.

I was lucky that my first attempt at installing a baffle fixed both of my previous blowout problems. I can only recommend that you do some cut and try with some thin metal.

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Re: Might Still Be Electrical

Quote:
Originally posted by 87MH
Josh:

Truely, the problem could be electrical or mechanical (air current related).

One more thought on the electrical side.

The current requirement for the Dometic 3800 is about 24 amps DC.

This is, relatively speaking, a large load.

Reread his post; he is running on propane, not on DC. His check lights are because the flame went out or blew out. The refrigerator in question is a 2-way refrigerator and the current load is negligable.

WBCCI #9632
Old 01-14-2004, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Type of Fridge unknown.

John:

Josh states his propane system does not work, but we still don't know if his unit is 120/propane or 120/12/120.

Following my diagnosis of the 12 volt low voltage scenario (relight delays caused by intermittant 12 volt heat cycles), this could still be the cause of Josh's no cooling while travelling problem.

I'm in 100% agreement that, if he has a 120/propane system only, your assesment of wind problems is accurate.

IF, however, he does have a 3 way unit, a simple check would be to disconnect the high amperage 12 volt feed (separate from the circuit board feed), which would permit the unit to run on 120 or propane only, taking the 12 volt cycling possibility entirely out of the picture.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:17 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm not sure Airstream installed any 12/120/LP units in 2004 or 2003. Don't quote me on this though.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 11:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
DC refrigerators

AFAIK, Airstream currently does not offer a 3-way refrigerator in any trailer line and has not for some time. I was in the 28' CCD at the dealer last week and it had precisely the same 2-way refrigerator as I have in my 2003 Classic.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-14-2004, 04:57 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Just for clarification, the refrigerator is 120/propane. It is absolutely and without a doubt a two way fridge and not a 3 way.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:20 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I have a 2004 Bambi and my frig. is LP,110,12-volts. Even when on 110 you need 12volts to power the circuit board that directs the frig. functions.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:10 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Same issue in our 2004 Classic. Shield preventing blow-out solved the problem.

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Wow! This thread has been floating around for a long time since Joshua first mentioned he was having problems. I solved the problem by fitting an air-conditioner filter in the frame opening behind the refrigerator exterior vent. The A/C filter was one of those simple foam filters with the plastic ribs molded in on about 4" squares. You can buy the filter larger than the opening and then cut it to fit. Since it's flexible, it makes for a neat installation. I take ithe filter out when I'm parked - but logic says that the "free-air" flow of the filter is probably greater than the "free-air" flow of the louvered access door. In other words, I think that it could stay in place - but why chance over-heating the frig?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #24
kiwicafe

2005 22' International CCD
Featherston , Wellington
Send a message via Skype™ to Pakeha
re: refrigerator issues

I own a 2004 22' CCD International trailer.
All my powerpoints inside and outside the trailer, with the exception of the powerpoint under the computer desk, do not work. I cannot find anywhere in the user manual where to start troubleshooting. I have checked all the fuses, all seem okay. I would love some urgent help with this as I am about to take off on a 3000 mile trip, regards, Richard.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakeha
I own a 2004 22' CCD International trailer.
All my powerpoints inside and outside the trailer, with the exception of the powerpoint under the computer desk, do not work. I cannot find anywhere in the user manual where to start troubleshooting. I have checked all the fuses, all seem okay. I would love some urgent help with this as I am about to take off on a 3000 mile trip, regards, Richard.
Since you include "outside the trailer", I have to assume that you are talking about 120v outlets. These aren't fused, they are controlled by circuit breakers in the AC breaker box which should be somewhere close to where your AC cable enters the outside of the trailer. Sounds like you have one or more popped circuit breakers.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #26
kiwicafe

2005 22' International CCD
Featherston , Wellington
Send a message via Skype™ to Pakeha
re: refrigerator issues

thanks pahaska from pakeha, can't quite change a couple of letters but close.
I found the problem last night and as you so rightly stated the curcuit breaker was "popped", so all is well that ends well.
Do you have anyrecommends for service manuals for Airstream as I find theirs a tad, read somewhat, read very, confusing at times. For a person new to this trailering lifestyle I would like a 'simple english' book to read.
Any thoughts? And thank you for your reply, Richard.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Have you thought about just shutting the refrigerator off before traveling? In our 2002 Safari, this works just fine. Everything stays cold, and the Ice Cream doesn't melt. Just keep the unit relatively full and the doors closed. If you think you need more cooling, turn it on when you are stopped for lunch or at a rest area.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:09 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

12 volts needed

Most recent dometic fridgs. need 12 volts to run the circuit board. If there is a problem be certain the check the ground on the circuit as well as the 12 volts. On the older three way, a sense line from the tow vehicle, a switch at the fridg will allow the fridg to operate when driving.