Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2003, 03:43 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Refrigerator problems

Last September, I replaced my dometic frig with an Rm 2820 complete. It never has cooled below 39 deg no matter what the setting or conditions. On warm days it will not get below 42 deg.

The installing dealer is to check it out tomorrow and says (after consultation with the factory) that it is either the cooling unit, lower circuit board or the thermistor. I suspect the cooling unit as I have disconnected the thermistor(no change) and observed that the cooling unit does not cycle at all during the daytime. I am wondering if others have had similar problems with brand new units from Dometic.

The original unit developed a refrigerant leak after about 9 years of use. That seems like a short life for something that costs $1500 to replace. The dealer says that they are not built as good as the older models. He also advises that I should have left the unit running all the time to extend the life. Has anyone ever heard this before?

The good news is that it is under warranty!
McKesh mirrors
James Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

similar experience

James,
The Dometic in my a/s developed the dreaded ammonia smell in less than 10 years. Perhaps little use is not good for those type of refrigerators because mine was used only a few times in the Summer months. I replaced mine with the same unit you have and it doesn't perform that great. On the "RV Today" show they recommended the installation of a small computer type fan to cool the coils in the back of the unit. I purchased a fan but haven't installed it yet. I have also read that some people put small fans inside their unit to help with cooling. I wonder why Dometic doesn't put a fan in their new units? I am considering purchasing a home type refrigerator with a compressor since I usually camp where there is electricity. I suppose I could get by with using the refrigerator as an ice box at places where electricty is not available. I am told that the reefers in the old airstreams lasted almost forever. I am curious to know if that is true. Hopefully some of the vintage owners will let us know how good their refrigerators are and how long they last.
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:38 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I also have recently (In the last year) replaced the refer in my MH.

It does not cool as well as the unit I had in my last trailer, but with the addition on the 12 VDC Muffin fan, blowing straight up the flue, it will get very cold (35 deg F) when set on the lowest temp setting. The freezer keeps stuff rock hard.

I installed the fan with an on/off switch, and it came with a temp. seneor that I have attached to the exterior flue of the refer. As the temp increases the speed increases. I am still working on the optimal placement of the temp sensor.

One other thing that makes a diffrence is wether you have an awning over your refer space. The refer will cool much better if the exterior skin is shaded.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 04:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
MY last MH was a 1978 . I install a new fridge right after I bought it because the old one was "acting up" I think it was the same one that you have.I has the same problem for the 4 years that I owned the MH. here is a list a few things that helped out.

1: a fan helping out with some air flow around the back.
2: when are you haveing problems when you drive or parked?
3: what power source gas or A/C
4: I also packed the "blue ices" in the fridge part.
The (the RV experts) also told me " If you have a lot of beer it will not cool right"
5: Make it LEVEL its need much more on the older stuff.
If any of this stuff does not work there is a buch of things that you have to look at. Good luck Jim
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 03:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
Jim,
It does not seem to matter as to running on gas or electric-the cooling problem is still the same. At home it is parked on a level slab under a cover and is shaded. Yesterday the best it would do was 49 deg with the thermostat set at maximum. I suspect that the cooling unit is bad. In any event I am taking her back to the installing dealer today. He assures me that it will be FIXED! Will keep you posted.

Thanks to all for your replys. Maybe we can get Dometic's attention.
McKesh mirrors
Old 05-10-2003, 04:21 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Jonesboro , Louisiana
This is a follow up to my frig problem--The repair shop has decided that the cooling unit is defective and should be replaced. After testing it for 3 or 4 days he could not get it to cool below about 42 deg in the heat of the day. That is with all controls by passed and the unit runing at maximum cooling. The freezer was ok but the refrigerator compartment performance was marginal. He gave no explanation as to what he thought might have caused this, but I got the impression that it was a manufactures defect. I will be getting a complete refrigerator to replace the existing one. I sure am glad I did not accept the poor performance as "just one of those things". I paid nearly $1600 bucks for this unit and expect it to work properly. Hope my experience will help someone else.
McKesh mirrors
Old 05-10-2003, 04:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Interesting site

James Schmidt,

Interesting notes on RV Frig..

troubleshooting guide

ciao
NEU #64