Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2004, 08:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Refrigerator Pilot Light Question

I have an old 68 and it seems to work. Electric is fine. When I use gas, the flame looks good. My question is this. When I turn the knob back to 0 or 1 (temp setting) and the frig is cold, the flame reduces, but to me, not that much. How small should the flame actually get? When it is running, you hear the flame and when it is set to zero you do not, but it just seem like the flame does not go small enough thus eating up too much gas. Any thoughts? Thanks- Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Your model does not have a pilot light what you are seeing is normal operation. The smaller flame is the way it maintains a lit state while waiting for a request to come on full again. I would not worry about the gas usage. A small flame like that will not use that much compared to a water heater or furnace.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

OK, thank you so much, you made my day. In a way I thought it was right but I am a worrier! Thank you for your time. Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The low flame must be pretty healthy in order to keep the refrigerant good and hot. Otherwise, it would take a long time to begin cooling each time the thermostat calls for high flame. In the winter, you may find that the low flame is all that is required.

The refrigerator uses very little propane. So far, I have used just a bit over one 30# tank starting in October. That includes a lot of refrigerator use, a little furnace use, a lot of cooking including using the oven, and the overnight burn-in that the dealer did to prevent smoke alarms from the furnace.

The water heater can be a big user. I always leave it on 120v only except when both of us wnt to shower. Then, I turn on the propane for faster recovery.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote