Old 08-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
Refrigerator not getting cold

I have the Dometic 2451 in my 2007 Safari. I had to replace my power converter, so the refrigerator had no power for a few days.

Power is back on now. Refrigerator is on auto setting. Freezer seems to be getting cold but fridge is not. Manual says it could take four hours and it's been at least that. Fan is not running but the switch is on.

The user manual is no help. Do these things just take forever to get cold from a dead start or do I have a problem?

Any suggestions?

Old 08-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by billberk
I have the Dometic 2451 in my 2007 Safari. I had to replace my power converter, so the refrigerator had no power for a few days.

Power is back on now. Refrigerator is on auto setting. Freezer seems to be getting cold but fridge is not. Manual says it could take four hours and it's been at least that. Fan is not running but the switch is on.

The user manual is no help. Do these things just take forever to get cold from a dead start or do I have a problem?

Any suggestions?
When all else fails "Reboot". Try removing all power from the frig. Cut the AC and DC power let it stand powerless for an hour and then power it up and try again. Let it cool overnight and check it in the morning, that should be enough to get the cooling up to speed. If that doesn't work, it's warranty time.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Your refer if it has fins/blades on the upper shelf, you should see a sleeve on the right most blade. You should be able to move it up or down. This ishould be the adjuster for the temp of the refrigerator.

Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
Your refer if it has fins/blades on the upper shelf, you should see a sleeve on the right most blade. You should be able to move it up or down. This ishould be the adjuster for the temp of the refrigerator.

Rick
Which way do you move it to make it cooler...up or down? What does that do? I never knew I had that until I read this post. There is a wire attached to the sleeve...is that a thermostat of some sort? Nothing about it in my owners manual.
Thanks.
Tom
Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
Wow, I never saw that either! I will have to check it out next time I'm at the trailer. I'm also playing with the 2451 (see the post about the Refer Switch). I think to some degree it helps to have something cold in the fridge. If it's empty or filled with warm food, that might work against you.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Cooling Takes Time

Quote:
I have the Dometic 2451 in my 2007 Safari. Refrigerator is on auto setting. Freezer seems to be getting cold but fridge is not. Manual says it could take four hours and it's been at least that. Fan is not running but the switch is on.

Any suggestions?
If you are experiencing the heat and humidity that 3/4 of the country is, IT WILL take a while. Make sure the fridge is level, side to side and front to rear. If you want to check it out, put a gallon of water in it and check it for temperature in 24 hours. Since the Rv fridge operates on a gravity principle and no compressor, it is slower than a unit that has refrigerant being moved my a compressor. Hope this helps...
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Just installed a new NorCold and the manual says it takes 10-12 hours to cool.

Norcold has their owners manuals online . . .
Old 08-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick

Rick
mr rick,

yikes!

just walked out at looked at the 'dream stream parked next to the barn... i had no idea that "slide" was even there.

do tell...

i'll guess...

up for cooler

and

down for

warmer?

kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dream stream reefer.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	43137  
Old 08-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
That looks like a different fridge than the rm2451, but thanks for the greaat photo -- and I guess the slider thing is just the sensor. I can't image it makes much difference where it's located because the temperature differential across that blade can't be very high. My guess would be moving it farthest from the freezer would be the best bet -- if moving it does anything at all. You'd think the owner's manual would mention this if it was really a user adjustment.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:37 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
The refer was colder this morning, but not what is should be. I've got the slide all the way up. Considering the 100 degrees in the shade temperature around here this week it may just be struggling to get cold.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Quote:
The refer was colder this morning, but not what is should be. I've got the slide all the way up. Considering the 100 degrees in the shade temperature around here this week it may just be struggling to get cold.
Do you have anything in it?
Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
google " Snyders rv refrigeration" . They have the fix for 40 bucks. These rv fridges only work for wine chillers when the outside temp is over 95F.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Can't tell from your first post if you have a three-way or two-way (running DC or AC). Have talked with those who are suppose to know, and they say things are not efficent running DC (true/not true?).

I also live in an area that has been hot for the last 1-2 months and did some testing to see how well my new fridge performed. I've attached a pdf to give some kind of comparison (might help?).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NewFridgeTemps.pdf (6.3 KB, 96 views)
Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Wow Spiffy Gem, your fridge is working way better than mine, but mine is empty. If you are at 100F to 110F and are getting 40F in your fridge that's pretty impressive. I guess it might matter which way it faces (sun or shade). I'd be lucky to get 50F-55F under those conditions right now. I think I'm going to try one of these:
title