Old 08-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia

JStanley is correct with the information regarding the THERMISTOR.
Many problems appear after the unit has not been used and the fridge has been cleaned.
If the THERMISTOR has been dislodged from its holder, or has been moved, problems may appear.
Yes, it is a good idea to mark the location on the fin where the THERMISTOR is located, so that you have a reference if a problem arises.

In an earlier post it was mentioned that tapping the tubes on the rear will help. I would question that? and one would have to be very careful that damage is not done that most owners can not repair in their own shop.

As outlined in a previous post, if the roof temp. is close or equal to the side vent, then no air will move without a fan. Fans are inexpensive and an easy backyard project for almost anyone. Internal fans are easy to install, and after they prove themselves, you can upgrade the power source at a later date. (see my post above)

Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
There is a thermistor on the refridge’s internal aluminum cooling fins in the main refridge’s food box. The vertical level of the thermistor changes or adjusts the temperature of that section (compartment). (But maybe not the freezer part). Adjust it up to make the box colder and down to warmer. Make small adjustments and calibrated positions with a thermometer. It takes time and the outside temperature may influence the degree of cooling. That thermistor is meant to balance the freezer/food compartment temperatures. It’s not magic.

You can read this tip in the service manual, but if you don’t have one maybe you can find a manual on line. That thermistor often times get moved accidently when filling the refrigerator. If this works, I suggest you tape it down so is doesn’t move.
Good luck.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by woodfox45 View Post
I have a 1985 Sovereign my Dometic Refer is a 2001 . The freezer works but the fridge won't keep cold enough when it gets hot outside . I ran it at night on gas and in the morning temp outside was 62 deg. refer temp was 34. When outside temp got up to 84 it was 55deg in refer . I have herd of people putting cooling fans in the back of the fridge to blow air out of the vent . I will need to check the gas pressure after I find a water colum guage .But is this a typical Airstream problem ? I hate to buy a new fridge and end up with the same problem . I'm looking for sugestions . Les form Toledo
Cleaning the burner orifice will solve the issue.

Place it in Limeaway for a couple of days, then reinstall it.

You should notice an immediate fix.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Thanks Andy and to all that have offered advice .I removed the burner assembly and cleaned everything . The burner now sounds like a small propane torch and has a nice blue flame . I did install a 12 volt fan on the cooling unit and friday afternoon it was 82deg. outside and 38deg in refer . I may have solved my problem . Thanks again to all . Les WBCCI # 14183
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Another thing to check is that the light inside the fridge goes out when the door is shut. If it stays on it generates enough heat to keep the fridge from cooling enough.

ventport is offline   Reply With Quote