Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
Refrigerator moisture

We are in East Texas and experiencing temps around 100. Humidity is of course fairly high. Being from the West Coast, this is all new to us.

The refrigerator in our '05 is holding 40 degrees consistently and the food in the freezer is solid. All seems normal, but there seems to be quite a bit of moisture on the things in the fridge. We tried the dollar bill test on the door gasket and are unsure if the resistance we feel is enough (there is slight resistance). We felt a leaky gasket would allow warm moist air in that would create moisture.

So for you folks that live in these hot and humid places; is it normal to pull damp things out of the fridge? Are we trying to create a problem where none exists?

Thanks.
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodrver
We are in East Texas and experiencing temps around 100. Humidity is of course fairly high. Being from the West Coast, this is all new to us.

The refrigerator in our '05 is holding 40 degrees consistently and the food in the freezer is solid. All seems normal, but there seems to be quite a bit of moisture on the things in the fridge. We tried the dollar bill test on the door gasket and are unsure if the resistance we feel is enough (there is slight resistance). We felt a leaky gasket would allow warm moist air in that would create moisture.

So for you folks that live in these hot and humid places; is it normal to pull damp things out of the fridge? Are we trying to create a problem where none exists?

Thanks.
I live in East Texas and we camped about 12 days at the lake last month. If we were in and out of the fridge a lot I would notice some moisture. I installed a small fan inside the fridge to help move air around and seemed to help keep things normal. Welcome to the Texas heat and humidity.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
Thanks for the tip on the fan. We used to have one of those little cube fans. Maybe time to try another one. Thanks for the tip. I think I may have talked myself out of spending too much more time worrying about this. As we are emptying out the fridge to a more normal amount of food (we left the house with too much stuff) the problem seems to be going away! I love problems that go away. Thanks again.
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I put a small computer fan inside mine and ran the wires out the back through the drain line to get 12v power. Never worry about a "C" cell battery when camping and have to go to the store. Just wire tie it to the bottom of the wire shelf - its about a 2"x2"x1/2" fan and takes up no space.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Boerne , Texas
I had that idea also. Haven't we all got an old computer to tear down and recycle? I'm glad I read this thread first though because I was wondering how to run a wire, There's already a hole in the cabinet. My other thought was to run a ribbon wire through the door seal somewhere but I'll get some small guage wire to feed through the drain tube.

My reasoning for the fan is that the cooling fins are building up with ice and I've been thawing it out every 4 weeks using a blower. After a couple of hours the ice buidup starts again. Always heaviest at the top right of center part of the fins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of IMGP6003.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	139695  
texascanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there might be a switch on the fridge to reduce condensation.

one member here used the condensation drip line in the back to run the wires.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
That's what I did - I also replaced the condensation drip line with TYGON tubing - clear plastic sold at HD instead of the brittle ribbed white plastic line. I added some extra electrical tape on the wire to insulate against chafing at the back of the fridge and pushed them both through. Seal the backside just like factory with a big glob of silicone sealant. Works great - I added a switch in the back to control it but generally when the fridge is on the fan is on.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote