Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2003, 09:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Question Refrigerator leveling - how quick do you have to be?

OK, it's pretty much the consensus that it's ok to run the refrigerator while you're towing, on the assumption that enough "sloshing " will occur to keep the unit from boiling dry.

Cool deal - I believe it.

Now, here's the question: You stop for momma's potty break. Or lunch. Or to look at the pretty view off the top of the ridge. You stop for the evening, and you're unhooking, etc.

How much time do you have to level the trailer before you're boiling the fridge dry and screwing it up?

What's everyone do?
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
What, me worry?

I don't worry about it. In my experience, a few minutes off level isn't damaging. I do try to either park reasonably level or else turn it off when making longer stops such as meal stops, For short durations such as a pretty view, a potty stop, hitching, or unhitching, I simply don't worry about it. In about 15 years with 3 different trailers, I have never had a cooling problem.

I don't know how old your unit is because you have not filled out your profile, but refrigerators made in about the last 20 years aren't terribly sensitive to levelling. Dometic says that if you are comfortable living in the trailer, it is levelled well enough that no damage will be done. A Norcold rep claimed some time ago that you could park with one wheel up on the curb and not harm their units.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:24 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm somewhat of the old school so if we stop for lunch (say more than 15 minutes) I will shut the fridge down. Normally the lunch stop is also time for a fuel stop so the shut down serves a dual purpose.

For an overnight I try to get the trailer level without unhitching. If I can't get it fairly level I will unhitch if necessary. Normally the side to side level is easy to adjust for when you stay hitched for an overnight.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote