Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Refrigerator Insulation

I am looking for advice; there is gap around my refrigerator on each side and the top, and there is no insulation except towards the front perimeter. I was curious is anyone has added insulation around the refrigerator box. It seems that it would serve two purposes; help insulate the refrigerator itself, and stop the infiltration of hot and cold exterior air from migrating into the interior of the trailer.

I was thinking that maybe a blue-board or pink board type of insulating Styrofoam material would work, though keeping it clear of the fins and flue.

Any thoughts or experience comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
In my old Scamp, I glued and stapled Reflectix foil-bubble-foil all around the inside of the refrigerator cabinet. It kept a lot of heat out of the trailer and seemed to improve the cooling.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I replaced the original Dometic with a Norcold in my Excella. It is 1½” narrower so I placed a piece of ¾” Styrofoam insulation on each side and covered it with aluminum ¾” angle to cover it. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...aes-44474.html.

There shouldn't be a gap that allows infiltration from the back of the fridge, where the propane burner is located, to the living area on the inside. My Norcold installation instructions gave very specific clearance instructions for all dimensions.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Insulation only work if it is complete with no air gaps or voids.

I made pillows for the sides of the refig. by placing some fiberglass insulation a bit oversized to the gap and then stapling 6 mil plastic sheet across it. This allowed me to slide the refig. in and the insulation made good contact with the sides. At the top I made a sheet metal lip that contacted the refig as it was slid in. This was not a good insulation system but conveyed the hot air towards the vent. To the rear I made a sheet metal false wall to produce the 1 in. gap that the manufactures require for proper installation.

The picture should show all three ideas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ref sheet metal.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	108542  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote