Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
Refrigerator Helper

I have discovered in the outside compartment of the refrigerator that Airstream in my 2009 model installed an AC outlet to simply plug in the refrigerator. Has anyone used the other receptacle to plug in a small fan to improve ventilation in this compartment? Assume it would improve fridge operation on hot days. Any suggestions on where to get a small, quiet AC fan?
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I think all you would need would be a doner fan from an old computer. Just a very low volume air flow.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We use a 12 volt computer fan and wired it to the refrigerator wiring - that way we can use it when boon docking and not just when plugged into shore power. Radio shack sells them for about $10 and the wiring is simple. They REALLY do help the efficiency of the refrigerator on warmer days. We also wired an on/off switch to it so that it can be turned off when not needed.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #4
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
We picked up a 110V fan at home depot for like $15. Made by honeywell and sits flat on the bottom of the compartment and swivels to various angles blowing upward..............WORKS GREAT.....God bless...........Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The best solution is to put the fan right on the fins where airflow is needed and use a duct to direct the airflow. That permits a smaller and quieter fan. For a really good fan solution look at the "Snyder Fan" for $60 shipped.

The downside is that you have to pull out the refrigerator to install the kit. The good side is that it is 12v, virtually silent, and thermostat controlled so that it runs only as needed. Installation is a 15-minute job once the back of the refrigerator is exposed.

While the refrigerator is out, it is a great time to check that the flue is clean and generally clean up the back of the box.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
Ok, I admit that I naively thought that the refrigerator in an Airstream (or any other trailer) would keep things cold, just like the refrigerator at home. Looking at some threads it appears that I was way off - on one thread someone said that the temperature inside the reefer got up to 75 degrees on a particularly hot day. The only way I can see to get around this problem would be to put a large container of ice inside the refrigerator. But this begs the question - on a small vintage trailer, would it be better to just keep the icebox that came with the trailer, instead of replacing it with a refrigerator? Would the icebox actually do a better job of keeping things cold in hot weather?

Incidentally, my son is an appliance tech for a major brand, and he says that the best way to keep a refrigerator cold is to fill it up. Every time you open the refrigerator the air in it gets warm, and it takes a lot of energy to cool air. If the unit is full of frozen and/or cold products (or even some bottles full of ice) there is less of that troublesome air.
Mr.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill View Post
Incidentally, my son is an appliance tech for a major brand, and he says that the best way to keep a refrigerator cold is to fill it up. Every time you open the refrigerator the air in it gets warm, and it takes a lot of energy to cool air. If the unit is full of frozen and/or cold products (or even some bottles full of ice) there is less of that troublesome air.
Absolutely correct. When our refrigerator is not heavily loaded, we keep it stocked with a lot of bottles of water or other drinks to give some additional thermal mass. The only caveat is to replace the bottles gradually as we use them so that we don't give the refrigerator a big thermal shock by putting in a whole bunch of warm bottles at one time.

RV fridges are fine to keep things cold, they are not great at cooling a lot of mass from room temperature or higher.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Cool

Best way, it wont use any battery power.
Never had a refer problem, (well not a cold one anyway), 'cept when one quit altogether in our Safari they have been pretty darn reliable. DW is an xpert at packing so that helps.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Lawrenceville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
The best solution is to put the fan right on the fins where airflow is needed and use a duct to direct the airflow. That permits a smaller and quieter fan. For a really good fan solution look at the "Snyder Fan" for $60 shipped.

The downside is that you have to pull out the refrigerator to install the kit. The good side is that it is 12v, virtually silent, and thermostat controlled so that it runs only as needed. Installation is a 15-minute job once the back of the refrigerator is exposed.

While the refrigerator is out, it is a great time to check that the flue is clean and generally clean up the back of the box.
I get a virus threat from Norton when I try to go to the Snyder website.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben4762 View Post
I get a virus threat from Norton when I try to go to the Snyder website.
My virus checker has no problem with the Snyder website. I have had it up a number of times over the last year without any problem.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Best way, it wont use any battery power.
Never had a refer problem, (well not a cold one anyway), 'cept when one quit altogether in our Safari they have been pretty darn reliable. DW is an xpert at packing so that helps.
The 12v draw of a properly installed fan is negligible. I don't think any fan that does not have a plenum to channel the air is as good a solution as one like the Snyder that has a plenum.

Central Texas has barely gotten down below 90 degrees at night for the last 45 days. A solar fan at night doesn't do much.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
I have a 1972 International with a late 1990's dometic refridgerator, will it have to be removed to istall the snyder fan kit?

What is involved in removing fridge, how hard is it?
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
I have a 1972 International with a late 1990's dometic refridgerator, will it have to be removed to istall the snyder fan kit?

What is involved in removing fridge, how hard is it?
Yes, the refrigerator must be pulled out to access the finned radiator at the top of the back. It is not difficult.

Turn off the propane, disconnect the propane line from the refrigerator using two wrenches to prevent twisting the copper line, cover the fitting to keep dirt from getting into the line, disconnect power and ground (best to turn off 12v source or remove fuse), remove two screws at bottom rear and some number of screws in front depending on model, slide the box out on something that will support it.

Reverse the procedure to reinstall the refrigerator. Check the propane line for leaks with soapy water.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
Pleasanton , California
Okay I went to the listed website, would like to see what i was buying, although there are no pictures, anybody have any?
JFlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlach View Post
Okay I went to the listed website, would like to see what i was buying, although there are no pictures, anybody have any?
I had to do a few mods to the plenum due to the fins and tube routing on my Norcold vs. a Dometic.

There are photos here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...tml#post605986

Overall, I am pleased. Works well and I can only hear it in the bathroom, the rear fridge compartment wall is the front shower wall. Very slight even in the shower.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
Contributing Member

Easy

Go to my 2005 Classic 28 thread, post #287 for some photos of my installation.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
This is a great solution.

Amazon.com: Valterra A10-2900VP FridgeCool Solar Exhaust Fan: Automotive

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
If you live in the south as I do, I have to strongly disagree. You need air circulation at night as well as when the sun is shining.

BTW: Our LOW this morning was 82 degrees and it will be over 90 degrees at 10 tonight!

12v DC power is available in the refrigerator compartment or can be accessed in older trailers. A 12v fan draws negligible current and works 24 hours a day.
WBCCI #9632