Old 08-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Refrigerator flue cleaning

Hopefully someone can give me some advice on my refrigerator. It runs fine on electricity, but will not cool when on gas. The flame seems to be fine and I suspect the flue is dirty/clogged. Unit is a 1999 Excella 1000 with a Dometic refer. The book says the flue needs to be cleaned if this happens but doesn't give a clue as to how to do it. In my older units there was a wire at the top of the flue that held the baffles, but this one has me baffled. Anyone out there with a suggestion? Thanks.............Larry

Old 08-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I take it the issue is access to the flue? If so, sorry I can't offer anything for something so new

On my vintage unit, there is an access hole in a cabinet above the refirgerator. I wired a baby bottle brush on to a coat hanger. Whistling, "Chim chimeny chim chimemy chim chim cherooooo...", I ran the "sweep" inside the flue up & down a few times, and decided I had an effective solution.

Strange though: My first thought on your situation would be a clogged pilot light instead buildup in the flue. If nothing else, cleaning the pilot light jet is what fixed my Dometic when I had no cooling.

Tom

Old 08-23-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamr
Hopefully someone can give me some advice on my refrigerator. It runs fine on electricity, but will not cool when on gas. The flame seems to be fine and I suspect the flue is dirty/clogged. Unit is a 1999 Excella 1000 with a Dometic refer. The book says the flue needs to be cleaned if this happens but doesn't give a clue as to how to do it. In my older units there was a wire at the top of the flue that held the baffles, but this one has me baffled. Anyone out there with a suggestion? Thanks.............Larry
Larry,

I just finished mine a couple months ago and found exellent information here:
http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/baffle.htm
You will find info on cleaning the burner oriface here:
http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/burner.htm

Mine was actually a different problem from the factory.

Steve in Sav'h
Old 08-23-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Strange though: My first thought on your situation would be a clogged pilot light instead buildup in the flue. If nothing else, cleaning the pilot light jet is what fixed my Dometic when I had no cooling.

Tom is right! The flame is usually the problem. You could blow compressed air up the flue while tapping it, but be sure the oriface is covered.

Steve
Old 08-24-2004, 07:10 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Flue access not there

Yeah Tom, the newer units do not seem to give you access tot he flue, at least not that anyone has tole me about. I am trying Savnh Steve's method. Thanks for trying anyway. Larry
Old 08-24-2004, 07:14 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

That is a good idea about the compressed air to clean out the flue. I am trying it and have turned the burner on to see if the air cleared up the problem. The flame seems to be about right and, before I blew air up the flue the flue insulation and outside pipe got real warm from the gas burner, so I think the burner is working ok. I would have to see someone else's to be sure, but since there are no other airstreams nearby will save that to later. Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll let you know what works. Larry