Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Refrigerator flipping from LP to Elec constantly

We have a 2019 30’ Classic. Had it in to the dealer for the typical list of things that needed fixed including our refrig that keeps frosting up. When we picked it up and reviewed the repairs I mentioned to the service manager that the source display was flipping back and forth between LP and Elec. He said he’d have his guys check it. Out for a short trip, set up, and it’s still doing it. In 2 years it’s never done this before. Any ideas what might be happening?
Old 06-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKovalchik View Post
We have a 2019 30’ Classic. Had it in to the dealer for the typical list of things that needed fixed including our refrig that keeps frosting up. When we picked it up and reviewed the repairs I mentioned to the service manager that the source display was flipping back and forth between LP and Elec. He said he’d have his guys check it. Out for a short trip, set up, and it’s still doing it. In 2 years it’s never done this before. Any ideas what might be happening?
Are you set on auto? On shore power and switching to gas? Or on gas and switching to electric?
My first suspicion, if on auto and on shore power, is the board...or intermittent 120v power to the back of the fridge. Try unplugging and plug back in. Test the 120v socket.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
2008 25' Classic
FINDLAY , OH
Try Purging the gas line

I had a similar problem. The manual says to turn off the fridge then turn it on again. It should try to purge the line if it is not plugged in.

Mine worked after a couple attempts.
ShadyBill47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Turning refrig off then back on cleared the issue. Thank you so much.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Our fridge worked great for three weeks on propane, but after re-filling the tanks, the "check" light would come on when propane was selected and the fridge would not stay cold. The fridge continued to work fine when on electric and plugged into shore power. Any suggestions on how to rectify the propone mode?
brundom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Refrigerator flipping from LP to Elec constantly

Probably have a propane flow problem. First, try lighting the stove. May be air in the lines or a tank excess flow valve problem.

If the stove does not light at all, or gas is not flowing, turn off the tanks totally. Wait a couple minutes, then slowly turn the tanks back on, one at a time. That may reset the excess flow valve in the tank valve.

Then try the stove again. If it now lights, try the fridge in propane mode again, a couple times. Turn it on and off to get any air out of the gas line to the fridge.

Also look into the fridge compartment and make sure the spark ignition is working and trying to light the propane. Check for a flame as well.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
When we switch to LP I always make sure I hear it come on or if the refrigerator is cold I stop after awhile and check to make sure it comes on. Then I listen to see if the flame is burning. Numerous times it doesn’t switch over on its own.

As stated above sometimes you have to turn it off, and then turn it back on to get the gas to flow better.

Once I opened both tank valves, and for some reason it worked. Maybe coincidence.

It will work. After awhile you get the hang of it.

PS. I would also invest in a small circulating fan in your fridge. It will keep a more even temperature and cool better.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by brundom View Post
Our fridge worked great for three weeks on propane, but after re-filling the tanks, the "check" light would come on when propane was selected and the fridge would not stay cold. The fridge continued to work fine when on electric and plugged into shore power. Any suggestions on how to rectify the propone mode?
My guess is you need to purge the lines. Also are you getting a spark? Do you hear a clicking sound in the back when you switch to LP. The electric and LP heat the same thing, so it’s not your fridge. If you get a spark and it doesn’t ignite, it’s a gas flow issue.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote