Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Refrigerator Fan won't stop running

Spent the weekend camping in my 2006 Safari with no problems. Shut the refer off and removed all contents. Cooling fan was running and I thought that it would quit shortly. Well after about two hours the fan was still running. The only way to stop the fan was to flip the store/use switch into the store mode. I did turn the switch back to use mode after about 10 minutes and the fan came back on and contiuned to run. I then opened the vent door and disconnected the red wire connected to module on the end of the cooling fins. The fan then stopped. Any suggestion on what could be causing this problem.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Here you go......

Try this thread - had me going nuts too.....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...off-34529.html
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Tsunami...Our 06 Bambi 19' Safari SE has an off/on rocker switch right of the door (facing out the door)...the switch has a red light that indicates that it is on. I'd think you'd have one of these too since it's the same year, etc...but not sure where it might be in your coach... When we bought ours, the switch was miswired, ran continuously, and the light stayed on in both positions. (Fixed under warrantee.) Seems to be lots of trouble with these thangs.

Good Luck,
TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
My 06 doesn't have one of these switches. I looked all over for it. I'm going to replace the thermo switch and install / upgrade the cooling capabilities with a kit from Snyder RV Refrigeration. It's amazing how much information is out here on this forum. Thanks to everyone for their shared knoledge and wisdom. Sure makes having an Airstream worth it...
Old 09-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Called Snyders and ordered the "Kit", should have it in a couple of days. Also talked to them about the fan. He surmmised that the thermo disk may be bad and that the "Kit" should fix the problem. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
My 06 doesn't have one of these switches. I looked all over for it. I'm going to replace the thermo switch and install / upgrade the cooling capabilities with a kit from Snyder RV Refrigeration. It's amazing how much information is out here on this forum. Thanks to everyone for their shared knoledge and wisdom. Sure makes having an Airstream worth it...
That's odd...maybe it's particular to the Bambi (?)...but glad you are getting it resolved just the same...the fan will help the frig be more efficient...

TB
Old 09-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi TBRich -- That's interesting....

Since I am now out here in the heat of the Southwest I now find that my frig fan does not come on at all... I have the same 2006 Bambi 19 SE, manufactured in 2/06.

I remember the dealer telling me how the switch on the side of the frig is to turn off the fan because some people find it too noisy at night.

Well, I always thought mine was just really "quiet" because I never heard a thing from it and regardless of if I flipped the switch up or down it never made noise so I thought it was fine. I always did wonder why the switch was "red" (the lite bulb on) in either the up or down position - it never goes off.

Anyway, even when outside temp today was 100 it never come on. Frig is still relatively cold -- meats in freezer are still frozen after a full week and the frig part holds between 39-46.

But, in reading all these posts I realize my fan don't work at all and the red lite should not be "on" in both switch positions.... I will get out my voltmeter maybe to morrow and take a check and see what's up if I can.

Maybe good thing I still have a few more months under warranty ???

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerda
Hi TBRich -- That's interesting....

Since I am now out here in the heat of the Southwest I now find that my frig fan does not come on at all... I have the same 2006 Bambi 19 SE, manufactured in 2/06.

I remember the dealer telling me how the switch on the side of the frig is to turn off the fan because some people find it too noisy at night.

Well, I always thought mine was just really "quiet" because I never heard a thing from it and regardless of if I flipped the switch up or down it never made noise so I thought it was fine. I always did wonder why the switch was "red" (the lite bulb on) in either the up or down position - it never goes off.

Anyway, even when outside temp today was 100 it never come on. Frig is still relatively cold -- meats in freezer are still frozen after a full week and the frig part holds between 39-46.

But, in reading all these posts I realize my fan don't work at all and the red lite should not be "on" in both switch positions.... I will get out my voltmeter maybe to morrow and take a check and see what's up if I can.

Maybe good thing I still have a few more months under warranty ???

regards, Dave
Dave...

Something is definitely up with your fan. You would be able to hear it running, I assure you! We leave ours on when we're camping but turn it off when we're towing because the air flow while moving does the same thing as the fan. I do occassionaly turn it off at night if it bugs me enough.

The fan is mounted just inside the upper louvered outside access door behind the fridge...just open it up and you'll see it. Ours was the opposite as yours...light always on and the fan ran continuously. Our fan runs most of the time in the desert...it only stops when we are in much cooler mountain climates. And I am pretty sure the fridge will continue to cool well...the purpose of the fan is simply to help the fridg bymoving warm ambiant air way from the refrigerater's mecahnics to assist in overall heat removal. It is audible and this annoys a lot of folks, so many have replalced the fan with different set-ups. Look through the threads relating to refridgerators and you'll see it referenced.

Where are you in the Great SW?

TB
Old 09-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
If you have the red switch then you have probably blown the 1 Amp inline fuse that is located behind the switch. That happened to me. I have pictures of it in the other thread. Also could be a wire has fallen off, but it would be easy to see.
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Here's another thread about this topic:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f425...ork-35040.html

TB
Old 09-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
And another thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f206...kit-25826.html

TB
Old 09-06-2007, 07:13 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi TBRich...

I am wandering around in Tucumcari NM.... I have Roswell NM next on my agenda... :-)
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Dave...hoping to get over to southern New Mexico this winter when it's a bit cooler...right now going to southern NM is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire! No wonderdul you want that fan to work correctly! I empathize! Just waiting for the weather to cool down...

TB
Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Question, Ordered the "kit" from Synder's early last week and have yet to receive it. When I call them to inquire about my order, the voice message kicks in for me to leave a message, which I did, and still haven"t heard back. Are they still in business?

Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
I received one about 2 weeks ago. All via the internet though, no voice contact attempted.
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Well it was sitting on my back steps when I got home this afternoon. I will have it installed tomorrow morning. Getting ready to hit the road late next week.

Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami
Well it was sitting on my back steps when I got home this afternoon. I will have it installed tomorrow morning. Getting ready to hit the road late next week.

Thanks
I am really interested in this setup - please post pictures from opening the box to the final install.

PLEASE......

Mike
Old 09-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Installed the unit prior to reading your request, but it was very, very simple. It's a clean install, looks good, and works as advertised. It didn't take long after installation to make a difference in how fast the freezer/refrig was available for perishables. I'll send a photo of the installed unit shortly. Would recommend having a wide blade putty knife to help seperate the cooling fin bracket from the silver backing on the back of the refrig (at least on my unit).
Old 09-17-2007, 01:50 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Tsunami, did you leave the fan in the vent opening in place or did you remove it after the install? I know the kit takes over for the cooling and I like the design. I was wondering if that fan was to remain as sort of the overall fume vent fan for the fridge cavity. I was worried about CO2 buildup from the propane when it is used.