Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
Refrigerator Fan/Switch Question

2007 International Bambi 19'. The fan on/off switch (inside entry way to the left) does not light up in the on position. Also my fan (when I ran it for four hours in 100 degree weather) does not go on. I suspect a fuse.

Does anyone know where the in-line fuse is on my model?

Any other suggested trouble shooting advice would be welcome.

Thanks!!
eberrobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Your post prompted me to go out and take a look at my 05 Bambi. The power switch is in the same place as yours. I followed the wiring as best I could from the switch to the fan, looking under the wire covers, and couldn't find a fuse, but there is a thermal switch that controls the fan by temperature. You may want to check the wires that attach to it. If your configuration is like mine, it's just to the right of the the fan, attached to the cooling fins. I'm on my second lighted switch. I found the light is not necessary because the fan is very easy to hear when it's on .

Good luck, and WELCOME to the forum!
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
There's no fuse that I know of. The light kept going out in our toggle switch, and after replacing it 3 times, Airstream would no longer pay for it under warranty (that's a bummer if you ask me). Finally, the last time it went out we left it alone — the actual switch still works. We don't need the light on to know it's in the "on" position.

If all your wires are securely attached, first determine if the toggle switch is good; if it is, then it's probably the thermal switch that actually controls the fan depending on temperature. By the way, if your frig is turned off, the fan will probably not come on even if you turn the switch on (unless there is enough ambient heat to trigger it).
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Colorado Springs , Colorado
My 2005 has an inline fuse right at the back of the fan switch. It is easiest to get at by taking the switch out from inside the trailer. And yes, my fuse has opened in the past.

Colo_StreamN
K0JEH,
WBCCI # 5630

Pikes Peak, Colorado
FCU
TAC CO-1
Colo_StreamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Thanks for the tips! I'll check for the fuse behind the fan switch.

Probably the reason my fan didn't come on at all after running the fidge for more than 4 hours in 100+ degree temp (with the switch in the on position, although not lit).

This forum is a great resource, thanks to all.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Jerry,
Good to know where the fuse is located. I plan to eventually change out the fan for a quieter one. Like TB, the dealership changed our switch out while still under factory warranty. It still worked, just wouldn't light up.
Thanks!
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo_StreamN View Post
My 2005 has an inline fuse right at the back of the fan switch. It is easiest to get at by taking the switch out from inside the trailer. And yes, my fuse has opened in the past.

Thanks, Jerry...it's good to know that there is, in fact, a fuse...thanks!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 07-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
I replaced the fan switch on the wall (as you enter on the left) and the new switch didn't light when in the on position, hmmm? I checked the wiring from the wall switch to the fan and to the thermal switch and from the thermal switch to the fan and could not find the mysterious in-line fuse. Do some AS have an in-line fuse and some not??

So, as has been mentioned I guess I'll just listen to the fan to eventually kick-in once it's hot enough in the compartment.

Any suggestions on how to test the fan to see if it's working without having to wait until ambient temperature gets hot enough would be appreciated!!

Thanks, I'm a newbee airstreamer.

Bob
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I replaced my switch today as well...try switching the wires on the two top prongs of the switch...you may have them backwards. On mine the "on" position is when the top of the toggle is depressed...in that scenario, the black wire is on the interior side of the switch and the red wire is on the side toward the wall. The light should be lit in the "on" position even if the fan does not go on. I still did not find an obvious fuse, unless I don't know what I'm looking for. I presumed the connection to the lower prone was for the thermostat.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 07-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
On my AS, the wires going to the top of the wall switch are both red, but have different connectors. On the top of the switch, one connector is straight the other has a bit of a right angle. I believe I conntect the right angle connector to the outside wall side top and the straight connector to the interior top. I connected the third wire (which I believe is white) to the bottom of the switch.

Sound right?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Hmmm... On ours, the two top connectors on the switch are the same and the odd-ball right angle connector is the lower connector...the one by itself... And the fan is working and the light is on when in the "on" position and the light and the fan go off when in the "off" position... Hope this helps! No telling what variations there might be from AS to AS...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Well, I'll try swapping things around a bit to see what happens. Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good Luck!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
With a new switch with red straight connector toward the outside wall, white straight connecter toward the interior, red angled connector on the singe lower connector...I now have a lighted switch whether on or off and when I turn the switch on the fan comes on immediately.

So not totally right but a least the switch light is on and the fan comes on when I want it on. Maybe with some more wire swapping I can get it to work the way your fan and switch are working?

Again thanks for the help.

Bob
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I'll check the wiring positions by color on our switch tomorrow and report back. AT least we're getting closer!

Terry
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 07-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
OK...In ours...there is a RED wire connected to the top prong toward the wall and a BLACK wire connected to the interior top prong...the 90 degree connector is on the lower prong. Different colors than yours.... Hope this helps...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 07-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
This should not be too far off topic but could someone please take a picture of the cooling fan in the rear of the frig. I think I will be installing one soon. It would be nice to see the finished product. I hope to install a solar powered fan for obvious reasons! Thanks in advance!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
This should not be too far off topic but could someone please take a picture of the cooling fan in the rear of the frig. I think I will be installing one soon. It would be nice to see the finished product. I hope to install a solar powered fan for obvious reasons! Thanks in advance!
A picture of ours would not be much help as it is not original fan, nor it is in the original position...we replaced ours with a fan in combination shroud affair that draws in the air at the bottom and brings it up and over the fins (Lewster installed it). As I understand it, Airstream didn't usually have a frig fan on units that vent on the roof, as the warm air naturally rises. The frigs in Bambis do not vent on the roof ... only on the side, so that's why there is fan. I would suspect, however than any help in moving air over the fins would be a benefit to the efficiency of the frig (roof vented or not).
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 07-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #19
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The Snyder fan kit that is what I think Lewster installed for you is a great help even with roof-vented refrigerators. I installed it in my Classic 28 last fall and it works great. I can just barely hear it inside the trailer when running. It is easy to hear outside near the refrigerator lower vent.

The fan is a lot more important on a side-vented refrigerator such as I had in my former 22' International. Without a fan I had very poor cooling.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Hatboro , Pennsylvania
The light on our 2006 Bambi is always on , on or off , the fan comes on most of the time , sometimes I have to flick the blades and it starts , I never hear it when its on ,
kipper is offline   Reply With Quote