Old 02-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Refrigerator Fan- Duct Taped Cardboard fix for Noise

The noise from the Dometic Fan vent was noisy beyond description. I purchased a spare fan to replace the original equipment if I could not find a fix. (Silent, 90cf, 18dBa Ixtrema 120 for $22)

I tried, first to use the replacements "rubber dampners". Did not help.
I tried to put tension onto the metal brackets to reduce noise. Did not help.
I pressed the top bracket with downward pressure and did get some relief.

Today, before leaving for the Tucson Rock Show and ready to install the $22 replacement fan that was used by others on Refrigerators... one last experiment.

I cut a section about four inches long of cardboard. Rolled it up so it applied pressure to the top of the aluminum door inside frame, cleared the two sheet metal screws that hold the fan brackets to the door frame and used a strip of Duct Tape to hold the cardboard intact.

Inserting the rolled cardboard, duct taped and it tightly fits between the Fan Bracket and the frame of the upper part of the vent door frame.

It worked. All I hear is the fan doing what it is suppose to do. Draw air out of the back of the refrigerator and blow it out through the door vents. Apparently this seems to be a temporary, if not a permanent fix for the excessive vibration and loud noises.

I am cautiously optimistic. Weather proof from rain? I think so.

My 2006 23 foot Safari had the same issues with a noisy exhaust fan. Again with my 2014 International. Come on... Jackson Center... this is not Rocket Science. If my cardboard is MY FIX. This will be the last post on the subject for me.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Once arriving at Tucson, AZ... the fan was back to the normal buzzing and loud irritating noises.

Back to the drawing board.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Well you could disconnect it. Fridge performance will be affected, but maybe that's a better tradeoff.

Pancake fans are available from industrial sources in any size, speed, and voltage. Larger fans of the same cfm capacity are quieter. I'm not sure how much room you have. The fan in my rig is, at most, a minor irritation.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Don't these side vent fridge compartments have a curved baffle at the top to redirect warm air to the exterior vent?

I would think the fan would be only needed during hot and humid weather.

Kelvin
Old 02-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Our International came with a Microwave, thus have the fan to exhaust the heat from the coils.

The fan was quiet when purchased. It became more vocal last fall to just outright distracting. Removed the Dometic Fan today and was able to get the Ixtrema 120 wired and running this afternoon.

The replacement is, at the moment, quiet and operating.

I have plead with the manufacturer for a replacement, asked Jackson Center for a replacement and tired of waiting. I found the hot and ground wires from our truck's battery terminals making it operate... spliced onto the Blue and the Red wire and it still... operates.

This will get some use this year and if this also becomes a "chatter box", I will not waste any time to give my opinion, as well.

I find it poor business installing ceiling vent fans that need replacement from the original installation in Jackson Center... and now my Dometic Refrigerator fan. My time has to be worth a replacement fan... or does it take a $100 warranty parts and labor to have it done by the Airstream service to make more sense?

I mention ceiling fans as many, when checking out Airstreams at the dealership, were either hanging from the ceiling for replacement, or were noisy when turned on. I will get to use mine this year and see what I will have to do to save MY time and THEIR Warranty charge back if I take it into a dealership.

Also a few of the pull down shades, which are really a good idea after the cloth or aluminum shades.