Old 07-03-2014, 11:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Add switch and keep vents open when needed!

Originally Posted by idroba View Post
You might put your own switch in the fan circuit. My 2014 20' has one as standard equipment and allows you to turn the fan off when you want to. It is simple to add one, just wire it in series with the power wire to the fan. You also can leave the upper vent cover open when the fan is not running to allow better air flow through the compartment.
Yes, if your trailer does not come with a refrigerator fan switch, add your own toggle switch next to the fan and turn it on and off when you need to! We still have and use our original refrigerator fan and it works just fine... I just make sure it is turned off at sunset!

You can help your refrigerator be more efficient by keeping the vents open with a 12" ruler... or a clothes hanger as we do!

More info on this AirForums' thread: "Refrig fan noise Fixed... really"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004 Refrig fan, switch & vent.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	215615   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0030 Fan toggle switch and hanger.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	215616  

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #16
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Snoqualmie , Washington
Ok - so I feel a bit silly about this one, but I figured I would share hoping that it saves someone else some worry. I had previously posted that I did hear what sounded like a refer fan that wouldn't shut off when I returned from one of my first trips. I took it into the dealership and learned:

1.) the tech claims I don't have a fan for the fridge in the location I was hearing the noise - the fridge checked out fine but...

2.) water pumps (oddly located near the fridge compartment) that are running when the tank is empty sound oddly like a fan that won't shut off.

So, yes - this noob actually left his water pump on after emptying the tank. I suppose we all have to learn somehow.

Nevertheless - this thread has been educational.

JBruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:15 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Thanks for telling us the rest of the story. Lots to get used to in a new rig, eh?
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Prescott Valley , Arizona
To bc_seattle...saw your post and bought 2 for my 25' FC. Just a quick question...which leads go to 12v and ground respectively? Many Thanks
airtoground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #19
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Airtoground - I have the same question. You ever figure out which colors to use on the noctua fan? Thx.
Jbc2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #20
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Never mind. Just found the wiring info on the Noctua website. Yellow is 12v and black is the ground. Thx.
Jbc2175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Originally Posted by Tim and Tam View Post
Our unit does not have a switch to turn the fan off at night. We would love this option when we boondock. It is always cool to freezing at night, the fan does not need to run, and we have lots of down to keep us warm.
My 2014 23FB has no switch either. The fan whines obnoxiously. I'm in FL on my first trip-- it's cooling off at night, so at bedtime I open the top outside panel and leave open--and just pull the fan power wire from the thermostat. If you choose this hack, be sure to remember to plug it back in in the morning. I forgot yesterday, and the space behind the panel got quite hot.

New fan-- one more thing to add to the increasingly long list of mods we have to make to our $50,000-$130,000 Airstreams. (Converters, latches and catches, longer screws, quieter water pumps etc). Thor should be ashamed of turning out a product at these premium price points while choosing the cheapest standard RV hardware possible that can be found on white boxes that cost 1/3 the price. But we keep buying them anyway, so who can blame them. Though I think pride in quality should fit in somewhere.

It's easy to see why Thor's stock price has gone from $2 and change in 2009 to $80 today. But I can't see how just a few quality improvements would hurt the profit margin that much. If the buyer of a $60,000 trailer in 2009 had bought the stock instead, they'd have $2 million.

My usual disclaimer -- there still is no other brand I would own.

pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote