Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2004, 08:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Refrigerator Door

Door will not shut properly on Dometic Refrigerator and discovered door pan (plastic inner part of door) to be severly cracked. This is original unit in a 1970 Overlander.

Are there replacement parts, or must I replace entire unit? If I must replace, what brand if there is a choice?

Thanks, Joe
Joe62984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
There is bound to be a door out there that can be swapped in if the rest of the refer works. The doors are not the parts that normally break. I would start with the RV bone yards they will likely have one that will be an exact replacement.

If you go new you have many decisions to make. Dometic again (lots of choices) or Norcold. If you go Norcold you can go AC/DC with a compressor type or AC/LP like the Dometic's
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

joe62984,
I hve the same problem, did you found a door? or you replaced with a new frige?
Is there a rv bone yard in San bernadino, CA? I just bought my Airstream last week. It is a 1969 31', and I do not much about Aristrem. If any can HELP, that would great!!
Thanks guys...

Eric
kangol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Refrigerator door

Eric, I did not find a door, but replaced entire unit with a newer rebuilt refrigerator.
Joe62984
Joe62984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Kangol;

We have a 69 GT and the original fridge door inside - just the skin was severly cracked and being held together with duck tape.

I can see how these would go first - with heavy items left in the door and traveling - the trailer does quit a bit of bouncing around. and over time the plastic gets brittle.

We got our local RV place to check out her fridge repair guy - he has 100's of old refers for parts and refirbs the old dometics. For 39.00 we picked up a whole replcement door - however our outer skin, seal and frame were in much better shape but we swaped the plastic inner skins. There are a few minor cracks and we have glued them and will keep an eye on them. (and will add to our check list for travel - remove all heavy items from fridge door.)

If you have money to burn - go for the new one - but if you don't then patience might save you some money.

Congrats on your 69 31' - did that happen to be the one that was removed from bidding on e-bay last week??? - if so you got yourself a real nice lady!!! and if you ever come to sell her - put my name on your list please.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:52 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Rebuilt refrigerator huh... That might work....
Gt6921
yes, that's the one. I went to Las Vegas and took it home with me. I pay more than what the bid was on ebay, but I think it will work out, cause it is a very very clean 69.
It needs touch up here and there, experted... over all it is in very good shape. Last owner Mark and his wife Cindy was very helpful on eveything, including getting the reg. & lic.. NIce couple!!
I made an appointment with Inland Rv down here inn Corona, CA on Thursday.
I will go see what the local rv guys can do for my 69. Thanks guys

Eric
Old 04-26-2004, 10:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Eric;

Congrats! I'm sure there were a lot of disappointed bidders when it came off the bidding block!!! for a Local Guy??? Or just the guy with the big wad of money

As I said she looks like a sweet lady and I'm sure Andy and his network will help you out just fine.

Have lots of fun - don't let anyone paint those beautiful wood cupboards!!!
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Thanks... My family is planing to use this baby alot
this comming summer. If I learn how to rv fast...?!
This is our first trailer, and I think we will like
it. We are hoping to meet more people like you, who
are friendly and like to RV. Good tip on the cupboard,
I like them the way they are too.

Best regards!

Eric