Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 06:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Refrigerator Cabinet

Looking for a little info on how well the cabinet that surrounds the refrigerator needs to be sealed up to keep fumes out of the interior and what to use to seal the cabinet. My cabinet was missing when bought so no clue. Have the hole in the floor and will put a 12v fan near the bottom of the unit to blow across the coils up the chimney. Trying to get the refrigerator chimney repaired to install, or can one be built out of aluminum. This is my last project inside. Any help would be appreciated.
cole3444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We sealed our cabinet up pretty well with caulk when we built it. You want it sealed well to keep fumes out. We nixed the hole in the floor, and put a vented door on the outside instead. Chris found a hotrod shop that would cut the vents for us. We were able to reuse our chimney vent with a little repair, but you could use something else to build it, like aluminum. Haven't had any issues with ours, but you live in a hotter climate than we do, so maybe a 12v fan is a good idea for you...

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Refrigerator Cabinet

Kay;
Thank you for the info, should have sent you a PM since you all have helped me so much on my rebuild. Do you remember how your frig is secured in the cabinet and I noticed I have a foam gasket on my front frame lip to seal the front to the cabinet, I figured this would take care of the front. I plan on building a box to slide it in and caulk all the seams so the fumes will stay in the back and go out the chimney. I will check out your post again for help.I looked around for someone to put vents in my door when I first saw yours but no luck. Thanks again Jim
Old 06-24-2016, 08:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I'll have Chris answer when he gets back from the store. He's the genius on this stuff, I'm just the flunky (but learning). I don't remember exactly how he built it or secured the frig in, but I think it's bolted through the bottom of the cabinet.... I know the right side (when facing the cabinet) is 3/4 plywood because we hung a TV on the other side of it, and wanted it sturdy. The rest is, I think, half inch.

Kay
Old 06-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hi Jim,

Look in our Little Girl thread at post 424. The cabinet is 1/4" on the left and 3/4" on the right. We used our last two wall extrusions to mount the plywood to the inner skins. We sealed everything with vulkum and two coats of primer on the inside.

The front is sealed against the cabinet face frame with the gasket that comes with the fridge. If memory serves, there are 10 to 12 screws around the perimeter of the frame that secure it to the cabinet.

We installed a solar powered vent fan at the top of the fridge vent. Seems to still be working after 5 years.

The guy that did the louvers for our hatch said he'd never do one again. Something about the alloy being too hard to cut cleanly. Each louver tore a bit at the sides instead of stretching, but not noticeable unless you're right on top of it and are looking for the tears.

Good luck!
Chris
Old 06-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1972 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Airstream310
Soddy Daisy , Tennessee
Refrigerator Cabinet

Chris, Kay

Thanks once again for your help and knowledge. I pulled your post up as soon as Kay sent me a response. My frig has two holes at the top and some in the frame on bottom, didn't seem like many. Your post showed me what I need to do. Thanks Jim
Old 06-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I haven't been able to vent my frig but ..... Please Install A Carbon Monoxide Detector!
I found one that also has the LPG Detector
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote