Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Johnsonbrg , Pennsylvania
Refrigerator Basics for '66...Help?

OK, I'm a complete novice here. I bought a '66 Overlander last year, but didn't mess with appliances at all. I plugged in the firdge, but it didn't seem to to anything so where do I go from here? I don't know if it runs on electric alone or if it needs gas? I haven't hooked any LP up yet, and I know practically nothing about these systems. I'm planning on installing a new hot water heater (that is, I'm going to mount it, line everything up, and then have a plumber/electrician check everything). This is somewhat of a budget project, so if I can do as much as possible myself that helps. I'm hoping, with all your knowledgabe help, I can get hot water, cold fridge, and hopefully the burners working. The furnace was out of the trailer (I have it in a box), but I planned on an electric heater for now.

Back on topic! Where do I start troubleshooting my fridge? Any suggestions or links to other threads which may have answered these questions would be great.

Thanks, Randy Lindberg
rlindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
If it is a 2 way (gas or electric) there should be a switch to select which input to use. Flip the switch to electric and then wait several hours and see it the unit starts to cool. The switch may be below the unit or inside the unit and there will be no sound. The freezer area should get cold first.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Is there any sort of thermostat that would keep it from coming on as here in northwestern PA the current temp is 21 degrees (it's *&^@#-ing cold in there). I will plug her in tomorrow and see what happens....hopefully the sun will warm us up here enough to tell!! Thanks for the quick response!!
Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlindberg View Post
Is there any sort of thermostat that would keep it from coming on as here in northwestern PA the current temp is 21 degrees (it's *&^@#-ing cold in there). I will plug her in tomorrow and see what happens....hopefully the sun will warm us up here enough to tell!! Thanks for the quick response!!
The LPG supply valve and switch for city power, is at the rear of the reefer and can be accessed thru the side small door. The thermostats are behing a panel at the lower front of the reefer.

That info is for the original Dometic M-52 reefer.

If that is not what you have, then please state which make and model reefer you do have, so that greater detailed help can be suggested to you.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
If you don't get it to work with the suggestions above.... take photos of front and the backside through the access door and post them... you will likely get more advice!
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Do you have the trailer heated? If it's 21 degrees outside and inside the trailer I don't know how you would know if it was working or not. At 21 degrees I doubt the fridge would come on to cool as it was already cold. Try turning on the furnace and warm up the inside of the trailer for a day, then try the fridge.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

I'm going to try and heat her up with some space heaters tomorrow. Last fall I plugged the fridge in, but had nothing after a full weekend camping. I'll get the model numbers and all specs tomorrow so I can troubleshoot. Thanks Everyone!
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I have found this to be a very good web site for information and troubleshooting on RV refrigerators. They also sell various parts that may be able to get and old refrigerator up and running. Hope this helps

Don

RV Mobile, RV and Gas Refrigerators
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Don't forget to make sure it is half-way level, front to back and side to side. Mine sometimes won't cool down unless it is.
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

With an old, untested system, I would first check that your power is what and where it's supposed to be. There is an outlet behind the fridge for it to plug into, and it's protected by a breaker switch. If you have 110v at the outlet and still no cold, check the connections under the fridge where the 110v goes into a ceramic block. If you have power to that and it still doesn't work, either the heater is burned out, the coolant has escaped, or the thermostat is dead or out of adjustment. Anything other than a coolant issue can be solved for a reasonable cost if you can diagnose the problem.
I may have a manual for your fridge at home, or you can find one online with a google search, I believe.
Good luck,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote