Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Masonair

2008 23' International CCD
Glendale , California
Refrigerator and my Power - Whats Up?

When my battery runs down the pilot turns off. Why? Isn't that the point of LP (Gas Mode) use? Can someone provide guidance.
masonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Starting about 1983 (according to the Norcold AES model manual) the refrigerators have circuit boards that detect whether the unit is connect to AC voltage or not. When not connected these switch to propane power. These boards are 12 volt. They don't require much power, so you must be letting your battery go completely dead, right? That can present problems of its own.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Your fridge uses a circuit board to control the functions. That circuit board needs 12VDC to run it. Depending on your other uses of 12VDC you should be able to boondock for several days. Either consider a solar charger to recharge battery or camp with electricity. You could use the TV to recharge but you would use alot of gasloine trying.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
How about one of them stationary bicycles? Could ya mount a generator on the front wheel and cool yer food while getting some nice exercise?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Masonair

2008 23' International CCD
Glendale , California
I like the bikegenerator idea...I think my batteries need replacing. At the same time I need to understand to minimize my use while dry camping. I am looking into to solar panels for a longer term solution. With a fully charged battery how long will it last assuming no other items are used (lights, water heater, heater, water pump, etc)
masonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My reference for low power camping is my childhood. My childhood living arrangement was less than today's camping. In 1950 when I was 6, my dad built a two car garage on a slab. We moved into it without electric power or indoor plumbing. We used the neighbor's cornfield for a bathroom and we didn't get the outhouse dug and built from salvaged peach crate wood covered with tar paper until late in the fall.

We had a well bored and carried water in pails. The water for bathing once a week was heated in a washtub on a wood burning stove in the kitchen. Light was a kerosene lamp on the table. Winter nights when my dad wanted to read, he lit a Coleman gas lantern. There was an oil burner space heater in the front room that was seldom used. There was nowhere to sit in that room. There was an oak library table, my mother's Singer sewing machine and the space heater. A blanket hung in the doorway to keep the heat in the kitchen. The only place to sit in the house was at the kitchen table. That's where the family spent evenings.

Bed time was early and the sleeping rooms were not heated in winter or cooled in summer. No fans. The window didn't even open. We went to bed with hot water bottles every night in the winter. We used those in the car too because the heaters didn't work in those old cars . . . especially in the back seat.

We eventually got electricity and in 1953 we got an indoor toilet and a bath tub. We got our first television in 1957. We got one channel.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonair View Post
When my battery runs down the pilot turns off. Why? Isn't that the point of LP (Gas Mode) use? Can someone provide guidance.
Welcome to the forums.

Newer fridges have 12 volt controls which gives them certain advantages over the older ones that were completely mechanical. Among these are better reliability, easier operation since there is no pilot to light, and better temperature control. The disadvantage is that they do require a small amount of 12 volt power to operate.

The point of LP mode is that you can run the fridge for several days or more without running down the battery. In 120v mode, you can't run the fridge at all from the battery. You don't have a 12v fridge, but if you did, it would drain the battery in a matter of hours rather than days.

Usually this sort of thing is only a problem during storage. If you're storing your rig either plug it into shore power or shut off the fridge and open the doors so it can defrost and dry out.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote