Old 04-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
N. Fort Myers, , Florida

We are wondering how people deal with keeping food cold while traveling in the freezer and refrigerator?
Do you run propane while driving?
Is that safe?

unsubscribed at member request; sold Airstream
bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Hi Neighbor!

I usually leave the fridge on LP when traveling, and have been doing this for the last 7 years including 5 in my 40' Monaco Dynasty MoHo. I do turn it off when I pull into a gas station even though I use diesel.

If this bothers you as it does some other folks, you can pre-cool your food in your house refer, transfer it COLD to the trailer (this should always be done anyway) and surround it with blue ice packs or frozen water bottles. This lets the refer act like a big cooler and should keep your stuff cold for a day or 2, or even longer if you change-out the frozen stuff.

Have fun!

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
While I was in Jackson Center having other work done I had airstream swap out the standard 2-way Dometic for one of their 3-way refrigerators. The 12V setting won't take the refrigerator from warm to cold, but it will keep it cold indefinately.

(BTW it annoys me to no end that airstream ships their trailers with 2-way refrigerators. The Dometic 3-ways are just a few dollars more than their 2-ways...even many pop-up trailers ship with 3-ways these days.)
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1983 31' Airstream310
Iowa City , Iowa

be sure everything is at least pre chilled. I still try to think like I did in our BF (Before Fridge) days. I freeze water in half gallon milk jugs (that becomes extra coffee, juice and/or drinking water when it thaws) and pack them around the food. Since I prepare a lot of meals ahead, I freeze what I can. If you like OJ, buy frozen concentrate instead of ready to drink. Saves space and helps cool. We tent camped for years with just a big cooler and everything stayed remarkably cold.

Our Dometic is 3-way. When we used a 12v Igloo cooler, things stayed frozen. The problem with that Igloo was that the power supply kept going bad. I am pretty excited to have a real refrigerator now!

Most people do know this, but sure to always run your refer level, especially if it is an older model. They are not at all like home units and running off level will hose the unit in time, and repair/replacement is $$$! I carry a level just for the fridge.
Airstream OCD...there is no cure!
1983 Classic 310 Motorhome.
AIR 15765

Auretrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We camped for many years with a popup that had an ice box. We use the same concept when we travel with the AS. Cool it down before the trip, pack everything cold and add a few blue ice things. We have never had a problem.
The chances of a problem with running with propane on are slim, I prefer not to take that chance. With the gas off you do not have to stop outside of a gas station and shut it down and then start it up again after you have left the area.

If your fridge is on the recall list, that is a whole other issue......

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
We do not travel with the LP on, but we plug in the Airstream two days before we go, put cold soda pop and water in the fridge and turn it on. I then gradually pack the cold stuff. Having a large amount of water or beverage in there is necessary, so that every time you open the door you don't loose all the cold air. Hopefully I get it all packed at least 12 hours before we pull out, and so far everything has stayed cold and crisp by the time we pull into camp, resulting in a tasty cold beverage for set up!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
We travel with the LP on. We had a 38' Monaco MOHO and did the same for several years with no problems. Start the fridge the night before you leave. It'll be cold by morning.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 09:48 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We travel with the refer on LP.
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
N. Fort Myers, , Florida
thanks Lew, we will have eto stew on it a bit. We had thought of both but were not sure if there might be some safety issued or problems that people might have had while moving.
We will plug in every night and hope not to be moving a lot this summer.
unsubscribed at member request; sold Airstream
bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master
2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Originally Posted by bina
We are wondering how people deal with keeping food cold while traveling in the freezer and refrigerator?
Do you run propane while driving?
Is that safe?
bina---we have always traveled with the propane on. As a precaution I would turn it off before pulling into a fueling area as fumes could ignite should the burner be on. As a side note ---at times we have had the burner go out due to buffeting winds from passing vehicles. When traveling I attach a furnace filter to the inside of the furnace's louvred door. The allows enough air to operate and keeps the burner from blowing out.---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #11
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Everything that has been said so far is right on the money. One concern I do have, and mind you, I'm a rabbid traveler with the fridge running on LP when in transit, is that some Dometic fridges, which may cover your model year are currently under recall. Until you identify if the fridge in fact is or is not effected by the recall, I would not run it on propane in transit or when away from the RV. Certain fridges made by Dometic between 1997 and I think up to an including 2005 have fire hazards. Looking at the Dometic info, they also don't suggest that you even run it on A/C unless you inspect the unit weekly.

If you're unit does not fall under the recall, use the LP almost anyplace you'd like (except enclosed spaces and fueling stations), in transit or not. I called Dometic about a year ago and the engineer on the phone said they design them to be run on LP while in transit. If you have a 3 way, you could run it on 12v too.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote