Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
water valley , Mississippi
Refrigerator

If anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a 1976 airstream international and I am replacing the refridge with an all electric but for the life of me and about 2 other people cant figure out how to get the old one out. It is a dometic(sp?) If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great

Old 11-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
When we had to remove the fridge from our '64 we had to use the access panel in the belly pan as there were (are) bolts through the floor that need to be removed. It was a booger!

Although yours may be different in that it's newer, it's got to be bolted down securely though, it would move all over the place while traveling down the road if it weren't!

Good luck with yours...

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimbaby
If anyone can help me out here it would be greatly appreciated. I just bought a 1976 airstream international and I am replacing the refridge with an all electric but for the life of me and about 2 other people cant figure out how to get the old one out. It is a dometic(sp?) If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great
I think it you take the kick panel off and look under the front there are 2 screws that go thru a set of brackets, and open up the access door behind the fridge...the one on the outside and there should be 2 more screws, also take a flashlight and look up towards the top of the fridge from the rear, there is a duct that carries the heat out, it might be fastened too, be vewry careful the duct is expensive! if you manage to break it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
I just started to remove one in my 73. Remove all the scerws. Sides and top. The one I have has a wall section I had to remove, Right side. There is a brace near the top with a few screw in it holding it to the wall. ALso on the bottom there is a floor brace, remove all the screw in that as well. Disconnect the Gas line, use care you will need 2 wrenches, one to unthread, the other to hold the piece it is mounted to steady. You may have to pry it up csome if you have not taken out your carpet.... Oh yeah, don't forget to unplug it from the outlet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	16145  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Disconnect the Gas line, use care you will need 2 wrenches, one to unthread, the other to hold the piece it is mounted to steady. You may have to pry it up csome if you have not taken out your carpet.... Oh yeah, don't forget to unplug it from the outlet!
And of course, don't forget to cap the LP line, too!
Old 11-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #6

1976 31' Sovereign
water valley , Mississippi
Ok can someone tell me what the credenza is? And I have taken out screws all over both sides of the fridge and the ones in the back underneath the fridge are not attached anymore it's in the front and I can not see where it is bolted down anywhere. There is a big area underneath but if I take all the bolts out of that I am not sure how I would get it off because there is a lip on each side and nowhere to slide it out. Maybe it would help if I took a pic of what I am working with here? I will try to take one tonight if not then it will be tomorrow. Thank you all for trying to help me out here as my husband is working down on the coast and I am trying to do this all on my own not haveing any knowledge about campers.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Ok can someone tell me what the credenza is?
Credenza = Cabinet (usually in the living area & lower than a kitchen counter cabinet height)

The direction to remove screws from the credenza may or may not apply to your trailer's layout.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Worth a Thousand Words

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Having replaced the fridge twice within a year (72 Overlander, 73 Sovereign), I think I still remember.

You've got to remove the "credenza" and then remove the wall section to the right of the fridge. That will give access to your hold-down brackets (upper on outside wall, lower on floor).

Here's a pic with the new fridge. It's very easy once you remove the wall.

PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote