Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2010, 05:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Refrig Won't Run On Gas

Helping a friend yesterday with a '96 trailer he recently bought, and the refrigerator works on 120 VAC, but won't run, or even click like it's trying to light on gas. All other gas appliances are working.

Anyone know any tricks, or simple things to try before taking it in for service?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I recently had the same symptom. Mine was corrected by blowing out the burner with compressed air. YMMV

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Helping a friend yesterday with a '96 trailer he recently bought, and the refrigerator works on 120 VAC, but won't run, or even click like it's trying to light on gas. All other gas appliances are working.

Anyone know any tricks, or simple things to try before taking it in for service?
The burner, orifice and flue, must be cleaned about every 3 years.

If not done, the orifice could be sealed shut from the rust coming down from the flue.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
First make sure you have gas. Do this by lighting the stove or hot water heater. This sound stupid but you have to know this before going further.

Test it by holding a match at the burner while someone turns it to gas. If it lights and has a good color and shape to the flame you have a igniter. If the flame is poor you have a clogged burner tube, most likely a spider nest. If it does not light at all the control board may be bad. If the flame remains only as long as you have the match in place, and don't remove it for at least 10 seconds, the thermocouple is bad

The spider is the most likely.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
My fridge is just over a year old and for some reason the gas would not light. I tried to blow out the line with my air comperessor...no luck. And yes I do have gas at the stove. It worked fine about a month ago! Could my thermocoupler already be bad?
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote