Old 09-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The factory converter has worked well for us in 1200 days camping, often on extended external power. It provides excellent power to our 12v system but the single stage charger can overcharge our batteries. Or so the forum (usually) tells us.

So we disconnect it with the switch and let the factory solar maintain the batteries. It's not the best charger either, but does turn itself off when the batteries reach (near) full charge. The converter/charger does not shut off, it just keeps on charging at full voltage.

I replaced the factory converter/charger because we upgraded our battery and solar system and my aging mind may forget the switching routine of the Battery Disconnect Switch. I don't want to damage these expensive new batteries, or break camp for travel with no 12 vdc to the fridge.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:38 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Augusta , Kansas
First, "Thank you" to all who helped me resolve my power problem.
This all started while camping and plugged in to shore power. My 2 month old batteries tested good to begin our outing., but I was concerned of overcharging the batteries so I switched battery disconnect to Store.... When I did that the frig led's blinked slowly and then shut down. Switched back to Use position and all seemed fine. I was concerned that there was a problem with the battery disconnect switch. I ran everything for a couple days and when I got home to voltage tester I did some testing of the batteries and converter (Parallex 7355) . I disconnected the batteries and tested them 10.7 V..... Checked power from converter (9v) so with all the concerns about overcharging, my problem was undercharging. The one thing I can share is that when I first started having problems, plugged in to shore power, I noticed that the battery monitor was just measuring about 50% instead of it's usual being pegged. Easy to understand now, but not so much then.
I've got my batteries diconnected now and on a battery tender in hopes that they are not damaged for the day that they were discharged. I ordered a cover er replacement (PD4655) and I hope all is well after I get the battery charged up and the converter replaced.
So if you don't have your volt meter handy and you start having unusual power problems.... Check your monitor board and make sure you are pegging the reading while on shore power.
Thanks again for all your help.
Technically challenged, but happy camper.

submirj is offline   Reply With Quote